Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat n Bone prime rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat n Bone prime rib

​Firstly, I'm not complaining here. Meat n Bone saved the day. We skipped PR for Christmas with plans to do one today, but last week they would have been expired by today. So I went to 4 stores, and no one had a PR at all or at least one better than a select. Sams had just cut theirs into steaks an hour before I got there... this was Wednesday around noon.

Rushed home and placed an order with MnB, and it arrived Friday, I have since thawed it and done my absolute best to tie it into a roll. The Meat itself looks great, it was a 9lber and required zero trimming, but it's flat and doesn't look like their web photo or any rib roast I've bought in the past. I'm assuming they trimmed out the large hunk of fat that's normally in a rib roast and the vac seal made it flatter?

I rolled it in half, maybe I should tried to make it round without rolling it I guess?

Regardless it's gonna be good eats tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221231_110459_Chrome.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1353838

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221230_115405.jpg Views:	20 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	1353839
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221230_115410.jpg Views:	20 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	1353840 Click image for larger version  Name:	20221231_103939.jpg Views:	18 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	1353847
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; December 31, 2022, 11:16 AM.

Looks like a nice hunk o meat! Enjoy!

Comment

I tried to retie it making a solid oval instead of a folded one, but no dice. Still a nice hunk of meat, and I guess worst case there's extra seasoning on the inside
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; January 1, 2023, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I get them like that all the time, both boneless and bone in. I tie them tight so they get round. By the time they’re done, that’s how they stay.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm hoping so, I don't like the little V opening at the bottom, but short of trimming off my favorite bite of fat, that wasn't gonna end up perfectly round.

All things equal though, the "best" I could find at the stores were 3.5lb select or choice at 50 bucks a pop. I got an almost 9lber at almost prime quality for 179 so can't complain at all it woulda cost me over 150 and had to time 3 separate roasts, I like it much better this way

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, the V doesn’t matter, it will be fine. Post ‘em up when it’s done!

So the prime rib turned out amazing, even though I did mess up the cook a little, I slowed things down when guests were late, but they were 30ish minutes late and I ended up being an hour late even ramping things up to 400ish at the end.

Time for an upgrade, welcome to Show Us What You're Cooking Volume 28, Winter 2022-2023! Here's a link to the past SUWYC 27 (Fall/Autumn 2022): https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/food-recipes-techniques-show-us-what-youre-cooking/show-tell/1297789-show-us-what-you-re-cooking-suwyc-volume-27-fall-autumn-2022 NEW: Want

My preference for a holiday prime rib is still Prime grade since I usually get a 12lber for just barely more than the price I paid for this, but this is the second year in a row my Sams club didn't have prime grade prime roasts. But for a mid year or non-holiday rib roast I'll definitely grab one from MnB again

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here