Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road order arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porter Road order arrived

So this is my first venture into an internet meat purchase. Was looking to try the pork brisket and also purchased 2 slabs of pork spare ribs, a tri tip(a buddy has been telling me to try one for quite some time so added one), hot dogs, and a pound of burger. The burger and dogs were to hit the free shipping amount. 🙂

Will be cooking up the brisket tomorrow but I will tell you I wasn’t too impressed with what I am seeing meat wise on the ribs. Hopefully they will taste good…
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rmeugene; December 29, 2022, 03:16 PM. Reason: Spelling!

I have ordered from Porter Rd. multiple times, but I have never seen ribs quite that thin. I tend to lean towards ordering from Port Rd. over merchants like Crowd Cow, I would reach out to their customer service and share your experience (and photos) with them and see what they may be willing to do.

Comment

Yikes! Those look anemic. I would also recommend contacting them.

Comment

I had a similar experience when I ordered ribs from Porter Road. They were very small and thin for the premium price, especially considering grocery options being much bigger. I still have them in the deep freezer and may throw them on when I cook another rack as a snack. 😀

Comment

This is exactly why I have never order meat online. This is how all of mine would arrive. I hope they make it right for you and that pitiful rack.

Comment

The Porter Road pigskets are pretty small, too. They were fun to cook, but I wouldn't buy them again, mostly for the price.. Ditto with their hot dogs--not worth the extra $$.

I had also tried their beef and bacon burger mix. I couldn't get around the weird smell and taste. Might have been from the dry ageing, though. I just know that we didn't like it. Give us brisket burgers any day.

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, my first couple of pigsket's were 2 pounds. Then I got a couple that were closer to 1 pound. Done with that.

I had some of their ground beef. I think the dry aging does make it different, but not that different. Gotta wonder if smoked bacon ground into the burger mix made it even more funky.

I've not ordered ribs online, but agree that 2.5 pounds seems on the low side for SLS cut spares. The pictures don't make those look like full spares, but maybe they are. When I get full spares at Sam's they are 4-5 pounds per rack, before I trim them into SLS.

Comment

I did contact them regarding the ribs…they offered a refund or replacement. I said if this is the “norm” I would rather have a refund. They insisted this was not the norm so they are sending replacements. So we will see. Cannot ask for better customer service.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Good on them for responding so cooperatively. I hope the replacement ribs are nice and meaty for you.

Kathryn

This is why I don't order meat online. I get that for some folks without a lot of choices locally it's the best way to go, but I don't want to hassle over 'is this what this cut is supposed to be' etc and it's almost inevitable with pricing per unit (vs per pound). I want to see my meat and say "that one" to the butcher.

Comment

• rmeugene
                rmeugene commented
                Editing a comment
                Unfortunately being able to say “that one” has become very rare in my area.

Well…the new order came today. I guess this is just what they are. Will be giving them a go this weekend hopefully.
              Attached Files

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                that's disappointing but at least they sent you another I guess...

Personally I'm not a big fan of pork ribs online, I've noticed a couple times I've ordered pork ribs from CreekstoneFarms.com they were quite thin, restaurant-sized. Restaurants often serve the smaller ribs for what I suspect is ease of cooking and to maintain profit w/o having to raise prices or charge flexible 'market' rates, and so I suspect many of these vendors gravitate toward the smaller/thinner ones for this reason. I look forward to your thoughts on their beef.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here