Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking For Source For Beef Plate Ribs, NAMP 123A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For Source For Beef Plate Ribs, NAMP 123A

Greetings. I'm looking to make beef plate ribs for Independence Day weekend for 14 people. Looking for your personal recommendation for sources. I've read about a couple of the more well-known online ones, and they are on my list, but looking for your personal recommendations. Photos from last year. TIA
    Attached Files

The ones I got from Click Akaushi were skinny. I won't buy again, probably. I did the larger rack on Monday, 4 bones, jut about 4.5 lbs. Just not enough meat to bother with. The other rack is 3.5 lbs, I would guess when those get done, they'll just be enough for myself, my wife and son. Really a little disappointed for a 4-bone rack.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe so, so I shouldn't buy 4-bone racks? I had heard that, but that was all the was available, I wondered. So that might have been the problem. I'll avoid 4-bone racks from anywhere from now on. Thanks for the tip, I've not done these enough to have learned the difference up 'till now.

• PPrince
      PPrince commented
      Editing a comment
      DogFaced PonySoldier , no need to avoid 4 bone ribs. They are just a different cut than what I am looking for. If you liked them, by all means, continue to buy them.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Flavor was fine - but they're just small. For the amt of loss and waste in bone, membrane and fat, plus cooking for 8-10 hours, I don't think I'll go that route again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E129950-58C7-41FA-BBB1-8E225709E4A6.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1230932 Click image for larger version

Name:	1A80A847-884D-456F-89A4-75629F5F4E0D.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1230931 Click image for larger version

Name:	6F468FD5-9233-4C12-A293-3AF36DF2A92B.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1230930 Click image for larger version

Name:	C4C55603-CFB4-44C2-A8CF-9F43368193FF.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1230929 I get mine from Wild Fork Foods. Just received a prime grade rack last week at $11.48/ pound. I’ve been buying them for nearly two years and have never been disappointed.

Comment

• PPrince
      PPrince commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice-looking ribs. Good job. I looked at them and their price is about the lowest around! Their photos, however, appear that their ribs are thinner than others I've seen online. I've also read that there is a version of ribs that are "trimmed" and are similar to the untrimmed Plate Short Ribs, this version removes the latissimus dorsi muscle and its exterior fat cover resulting in thinner ribs. I'll have to email them and see. Thanks again.

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      PPrince Not pre trimmed that I am aware of. The rack I just got is nearly 7 pounds.

The only place ive reliably been able to get them online on a consistent basis is Wild Fork or Tillmans. Tillmans does clarify that they are pre-trimmed but they have always been very helpful when ive called them with something so they may be able to accommodate what you need.

Everywhere else they seem to come in and out of stock as specials.

Beef Plate Rib – Tillman's Meats (tillmansmeats.com)
    Last edited by grantgallagher; June 3, 2022, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      When I lived in Jacksonville I used to go to Tillmans all the time. Wasn't too far from my house or the kids school. They had some good quality stuff! Great pies too.

I have some from Wild Fork in the freezer and it was 6 pounds or so for the rack. They look very good.

Porter Road and Creekstone are also popular and I assume you are aware of those places.

Comment

Older thread with good info:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...eef-plate-ribs

A
      nd this one

I keep seeing photos of Tri Tip (never had even seen it in a store (well, never knew what I was looking for more likely), and I have also never smoked Beef Short Ribs bone in or other.
      Last edited by STEbbq; June 3, 2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Creekstone just had a special which unfortunately is now over.

Comment

I got these from Wassi's Meat Market in Melbourne FL. They are a complete meat market and have any types of meats one would be interested in and they will ship. These ribs were done on Memorial Day and were fantastic. They were $8.99 or $9.99/lb. The bones are a full 10" long. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_105719.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	1231103 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_194235.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1231104 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_194343.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	1231105

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet! I’ll need to check them out.

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you have a direct link? I found short rib but not plate.

Wassi's Meat Market is a family owned and operated, upscale meat market in southeast Florida. Wassi's has been providing quality meats for 30+ years right here in Melbourne (same location). Check out our selection of choice, prime, domestic wagyu, Australian wagyu and A5 Japanese wagyu beef, all hand cut fresh never frozen. We also offer 35 day USDA prime dry aged steaks. Aged and handcrafted in house. Come in discover all the cuts that you only read about elsewhere. For instance Denver Steaks (both Prime and Wagyu), Tri Tip (both Prime and Wagyu) and Picanha (both Prime and Wagyu) We also offer a variety of handmade in house specialty sausages as well as hand cut pork. Homemade sides, appetizers and pies. Everything that will truly make your meal special . Come visit us at 830 N. Wickham Road in Melbourne, Florida. Our hours are Monday thru Saturday 9a-6p and Sunday 10a-4p....

IMO I would head to my local butcher and tell them what you want. This far in advance they should be able to get you any cut you need.
          Have you ever watched the Bearded Butchers on YouTube? Their from Ohio and have an awesome video of all the different beef ribs cuts they do.

Comment

• PPrince
            PPrince commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the Bearded Butchers! They are about 90 minutes South of me and I stopped by their store, White Feather Meats, once and picked up some of their seasonings and jerky. They offer only grass-fed beef and I'm looking for grass-fed and grain-finished for less gamey taste than only grass-fed.

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            PPrince I’ve seen their video where they compete grass fed and grain fed…If I remember right they liked the grain fed best so it’s interesting they only offer grass fed.
            We would always supplement grain along with pasture feeding…gives a much better product IMO.

I've gotten them from WF, Porter Road, Creekstone, and Click Akaushi and they have all been totally fabulous. Great cut, gotta love that brisket-on-a-stick.

Comment

These are biggest I’ve seen. From a local purveyor. I assume are normally cut in half. Just under 10 lbs for 3 ribs.

Attached Files

Comment

• PPrince
              PPrince commented
              Editing a comment
              Those look great!

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              i want to see the finished pics of those bad boys!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here