Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franklin BBQ. Goldbelly and Hilarious Shipping Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe I read this whole thing...

Comment

• PNWsmoke
      PNWsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm starting at the end and going backwards

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      PNWsmoke But, you'll never get to read the deleted posts! So, you might as well just give up.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Alka Seltzer to the rescue!

Since I dislike reheated meat, I would never order anyone's brisket (sorry, Huskee ) for next day delivery. Paying $250 for reheated meat, well, for me the answer is simple. No way.

Now for a pair of shoes...hmmmmm.

Kathryn

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Kathryn, my wife agrees with you, she never likes to eat leftover steak or lamb chops, just says she doesn't like the taste. But, she's fine with cold, un-re-heated leftover grilled salmon. I've read the SE article; in spite of what they say, I've found that thin slicing steak, and barely warming in the microwave, so it's still pink, but not cold, tastes the best for me. But, OTOH, I'm part dog: 'You're not going to eat that? I'll eat that.' Daniel

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I recall this discussion of "leftover flavor" a while back, and its just not something I get or apparently taste.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Lucky you, jfmorris . It's not the first time I've wished to be more like you.

Dr. Pepper , that's a good idea. Sometimes I'll do that with leftover chicken that I microwave for my husband so it doesn't take as long to heat through (while I'm eating my portion of chicken cold.)

K.
      Last edited by fzxdoc; July 15, 2021, 12:06 PM.

Hey fer $250 Let’s Eat!

Comment

May I suggest Tillamook Cheese? Great cheese from the coast of Oregon. The sweet English Cheddar would pair nicely with your wine.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        But does it pair well with PBR ???

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman it does. PBR stands on its own merit. That goes without saying. I am confused, did you even have to ask?
        Last edited by bbqLuv; July 13, 2021, 10:12 PM.

Got my Franklin BBQ brisket yesterday, haven’t looked at it yet (worked late). At first glance it looks much larger than the 5lbs advertised; closer to 8 is what I see. I’ll weigh it when I get home (working today, too). Plus it came with sausages and a bottle of sauce.

If you go to the restaurant, brisket is $34/lb, sausages are $4.40/link and there are 5. A bottle of sauce is $4. So if this is 5# of brisket, then I have $197 worth of product if I’d gone to Austin and picked it up. I paid $239 through Goldbelly to have it all packed, sealed, wrapped in pink butcher paper, and shipped to my house. I don’t know about you, but I think that is a steal.

Comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Wondering if it will taste right if you didn’t get to wait in line three hours before having the pleasure of devouring it.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah you should stand outside your house for a few hours before eating to get the full experience ;-)

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I drove 5 hours including Austin's 8 am rush hour to get it and another hour and a half to my destination. Does that count?

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
      Got my Franklin BBQ brisket yesterday, haven’t looked at it yet (worked late). At first glance it looks much larger than the 5lbs advertised; closer to 8 is what I see. I’ll weigh it when I get home (working today, too). Plus it came with sausages and a bottle of sauce.

If you go to the restaurant, brisket is $34/lb, sausages are $4.40/link and there are 5. A bottle of sauce is $4. So if this is 5# of brisket, then I have $197 worth of product if I’d gone to Austin and picked it up. I paid $239 through Goldbelly to have it all packed, sealed, wrapped in pink butcher paper, and shipped to my house. I don’t know about you, but I think that is a steal.
      6.1lbs. That puts this squarely in "great deal" territory.

6.1*34 = 207.40
      5*4.40 = 22
      1*4.00 = 4

$233.40 if purchased curbside in Austin.

$249 - $10 first order discount.

This deal is now $289. But I’d say it’s still a deal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	02E441A0-8C2B-4A7E-8F51-206D7CF945E1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	1097026

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I vacuum sealed and froze my leftover Franklin brisket, served it a month and a half later and it was sill excellent.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        58limited I actually don’t have a pot or sous vide vessel large enough to reheat it, so it’s in the oven at 225* right now. It smells heavenly! Maybe 1/2 hour to go. After we dine, I’ll post a review, with pictures.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca When I reheated the Franklin brisket I was smoking a wagyu brisket at a friend's place and we wrapped Franklin's in foil and put the it on the smoker with the wagyu brisket to reheat it, then compared them side to side - nearly identical. I credit the quality of the meat versus my brisket skill in this outcome. I'm sure Franklin's suffered a little in being frozen but to me it tasted just as good as when fresh. I was surprised mine was as good.

Well, I just quit reading through at about 75% point. Now I want to know...how do I make a brisket as good as Franklin's? Who here has made a brisket as good? There's a lot of knowledge here in the pit on this subject and online. Let's see some comperable brisket. Let's make our own!

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        I asked the guys who did the Texas meetup a few months ago and who hit up Snows, etc how that stuff compared to what they could do... and their answer was that mostly, they could make stuff as good, but not at the volume the pro places do. \

I think brisket isn't THAT hard - but it's buying good meat and doing it properly - wrapping at the right temp, knowing IF to wrap, judging doneness, etc. And I think you will have better luck on a stick burner, then charcoal.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        AND IIRC Franklin gets their stuff from Creekstone. So he's not grabbing the $1.99 special at Sam's etc.

So, that's a good deal compared to the in person price. But Franklin's in person price is pretty high. A couple of good brisket places around here are $22/lb which brings the cost down quite a bit (6.1lbs is $134). Or, of course, we can get a prime brisket from where he does (Creekstone) and do one ourselves.

But as a treat and a chance to taste how a master does it? Yeah, this is a pretty decent option.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here