Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road not the best first experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any beef that has already been refrigerated is plenty fine getting up to 45-F, with ease.

Comment

Nice truck by the way. Raptor?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, baby V6 150 I bought it when I thought I was gonna retire a few years ago and wasn't sure how far my commute would be. Thing gets 25-38 mpg which is amazing, but I'd rather be behind the wheel of a muscle car

Your points are well taken, rickgregory . Unlike some, I live in a a rural area where mask compliance is sketchy at best, and one can pretty much forget about seeing much evidence 6-foot distancing, indoors or out. When I (rarely) visit the grocery myself, I go early in the morning to avoid crowds. At that time of day, the shelves and meat cases are not yet restocked, so pickings can be slim. Rural living, with its beauty and simplicity of life, is not without its drawbacks.

As far as Porter Road goes, I would not have chosen pork chops with so thick a fat cap (as shown, for example, on a recent Porter Road topic) or a perforated brisket package or discolored bacon as mentioned on this topic were I to be choosing the meat myself. That said, I agree with you that PR appears to be a quality purveyor who stands behind its product and I understand that some damage can occur in the shipping process itself.

We are lucky enough to have a wonderful butcher shop an hour's drive away (open at present for curbside pickup only). The prices are higher than in groceries, but then so is the quality of the product. When that shop reopens, I'll be there front and center to pick out some nice cuts.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; March 12, 2021, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Just a follow up, the brisket didn't kill me though I was sad I had to cook it a day-ish before I had planned.

The one bacon was not freezer burn it was definitely a failed cure every piece had the same size discoloration, it's also not British bacon but close enough I guess. I am reaching out to them for compensation on that pack, but the other pack is perfectly fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here