Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding good ribs - Cleveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding good ribs - Cleveland

I am really struggling to find a good meaty pork spare rib in Northeast Ohio. I have tried many butcher shops, and sadly Sam's club has been the best thus far!!! Please, does anyone have any suggestions??? There has to be some good rib butcher shops in Cleveland, but I cannot afford a lot more trial and error, it is frustrating. Help me oh great forum!!

Cannot help you with Ohio, but I've found the same thing with ribs from Sam's versus other local shops and grocery stores. I really like the meaty baby back aka loin back ribs from Sam's, and nothing I've found elsewhere that I could afford came close.

Comment

• PaynTrain
      PaynTrain commented
      Editing a comment
      I see my Sams has a case sale on loin back ribs for 2.59 per pound. I might try that.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I would go for it. They are not spare ribs, but they are very meaty, and having recently done a smoke of 3 SLC spares and 3 Sam's loin back ribs, the family by far preferred the loin-back ribs to the Smithfield SLC.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently bought 8 racks of baby/loin backs at Kroger as they were on sale for $1.77 a pound, and dropped them in the freezer for a future cook, but they do not appear to have nearly as much meat on them as the ones from Sam's.

Baby back of slc

Comment

Sams Club ribs are usually pretty good, even on an absolute scale they compare pretty favorably with most anything else.

Have you tried driving to Pittsburgh? You might have better choices there.

Comment

You probably have some local food service company' s where you live. They will have nearly everything you can think of they will sometimes sell to the general public but you will have to buy by the case. I have one that I purchase from. I couldn't get tri tips until I hooked up with them. I get huge chicken wings by the 40lb case that are already cut and are some of the meatiest wings I've ever had.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice advice!
          Last edited by EdF; May 16, 2018, 01:34 PM.

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          He has gfs in the area plus a couple of really good butchers one east of him and one south of him

• PaynTrain
          PaynTrain commented
          Editing a comment
          I have located some wholesalers in Cleveland, and am checking this option out.

You should be able to order Berkshire spares/ St. Lewis or Hormel has a good product with their all natural line. The all natural line has no sodium injection.

Comment

I'm south of you down here in Dover OH. I've gotten some great ribs and other meats from Sugar Valley Meats in Sugarcreek OH. Not sure if that's too far of a drive for you. They do their own butchery there. You can actually call ahead and order special cuts if you want. They have a website so check them out.

They are closed on Sundays.

Comment

• PaynTrain
            PaynTrain commented
            Editing a comment
            Sugarcreek is doable, nice beautiful drive down there! I will definitely check them out.
            Last edited by PaynTrain; May 16, 2018, 11:38 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here