Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife just placed an order at our butcher's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife just placed an order at our butcher's

Here is what we ordered:
    10# ground beef (it makes it darn near 100% lean and so we add olive oil to it or fat)
    10# of pasty meat mix (very course ground pork and beef mix)
    1 x whole ribeye (cut 1.5" thick, two per pack)
    8 Pork Butts (6-8# each)
    1 x whole packer briscuit
    Short ribs (I don't how many #s we are gettting)
    2 x eye of round roast
    2 x top inside round roast
    2 x bottom outside round roasts

Our butcher (Jackie at Parker Enterprises, HWY 690, Vass if you are in the area) rocks. The first time I went in there (it was to order ribeye) he took me to the back, walked me in to the meat locker and showed which piece of beef he was gonna use and showed me various cuts of meat. He had me wait in the cutting area with him as he cut the steaks to my specification and then sealed them in the quantities I needed. Then he said, hey, do you eat venison? Yes sir we do! He tells me the local law enforcement bring him in fresh deer strikes all the time. So he gave me a nice back strap. So we walk out to the register and I pull out a debit card and he says, oh I only take cash or check. I said ok let me run down to the corner and get some cash for you. He says, naw, you are local just stop by in the next week and drop it off and the venison is no charge. He has had our business ever since (5 years ago).
    Jackie will not sell me bad cuts of beef. When I call in an order he will tell me he can't fill it because the stuff hanging is not high enough quality for what I want and that he will have new beef in on Thursday. He ground my wife's pasty mix three different times until he got it exactly how she wanted it. Now, we generally just call in our orders and ask him if we can pick it up on such or such day. But I make sure just to stop in and chat occasionally.
    I should know where he sources his beef but I do not. He does raise and slaughter his own pigs and does a lot of business selling them for pig pickn's to the local churches and organizations. This is actually the first time we have ordered pork from him. Having tasted his ground breakfast sausage, I am sure it will be great.
    So if you are in our area, don't drive to fast, you'll by pass Vass. Give me a holler and be sure to stop in and chat up Jackie too.

We still have a house there in Woodlake. I'll let my friends know, and when I'm down that way I'll check it out!

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      SMALL BBQ world. I live on Blackeyed Susan off of Greenbriar!

martybartram, Just add credence to the old Saying if You Don't Know the Product Know the Merchant! I bet there are Days You Stand in Line @ that Meat Counter! 👍👍👍👍👍.
    Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Live too far away to use the butcher but I did enjoy the song!

Comment

You're lucky to have that available in your area. It's getting harder and harder to find full service butcher shops around here.

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          Jackie just called me at work, "hey this brisket is 15# want me to cut it half for ya?" Yes, sir, whatever you think is best, I said lol

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          No butchers in the area I live.

Sounds like a great butcher. You should gift him with some smoked meat some time.

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          I will do that!

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          He's cooking a pigs daily right now and will do so thru Oct. all the golf courses order from him and give the pulled pork away to golfers apparrently

Picked up the order this afternoon, had ribeye for dinner. Briskets are USDA Choice Angus here is a couple of snaps one I am defrosting and hope to cook on tuesday

Comment

The video / song were great. You're a lucky guy to know a butcher like him. Service at its best!

Comment

• martybartram
            martybartram commented
            Editing a comment
            He is great. Real old school kind of guy.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here