Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morgan Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
    Now that is one great answer, thank you! So in addition to genetics, the feeding and the treatment of the animal is just as important? I'm assuming that's what Jerod was referring to when he mentioned the environment? I apologize for all the questions but to me at least it's a fascinating subject. Until recently I've just always assumed that a cow is a cow regardless of where it came from.

Yup. As is the treatment immediately pre-harvest. The method and length of time that the carcass is cooled, the tightness of the cutting specifications, the way in which the meat is held before being sold, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMeatGuyJapan View Post

Yup. As is the treatment immediately pre-harvest. The method and length of time that the carcass is cooled, the tightness of the cutting specifications, the way in which the meat is held before being sold, etc.
      Thinking back to the days when Dreisbach's was in G.I., do any of the restaurants you supply dry age their beef?

Comment

This is all very interesting. Thank you for producing such a high quality product TheMeatGuyJapan . I hope to try some one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Craigar View Post
          Thinking back to the days when Dreisbach's was in G.I., do any of the restaurants you supply dry age their beef?

Lots of our customers do varying degrees of dry aging these days. It's the in thing at the moment. I personally think that dry aging of highly marbled cuts is a waste. For every cut that you improve, you'll have another that you ruin because the fats oxidize. On leaner beef, dry ageing can really make a difference.

Dreisbach's is a name I haven't heard in a long time. The very first steaks I imported into Japan nearly 20 years ago were Top Sirloins that we dry aged and portion controlled at Dreisbach's.

Comment

TheMeatGuyJapan I always enjoyed going to Dreisbach's this time of year with the ponies running at Fonner and state bowling when it was in G.I, Hastings or farther east.

I thought of something else over the weekend. With wagyu being today's hot commodity as far beef goes, whatever happened with the beefalo? If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was back in the late '70's or early '80's there was a group trying to crossbreed the American bison with cattle to produce a leaner product with more protein. It just kind of made me laugh at how the general public's view of beef has changed over the past few years as we have gone from Jack Sprat to Jack Sprat's wife.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              The old Beefalo. It was detrimental to the American Bison population. A very large number of Bison now have domestic bovine in their genes. I think they were also having problems with domestic cows transferring disease to bison herds as well.

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker now that you mention it, that does ring true.

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Like pork, more people are asking for the fatty side of the brisket. Dystocia is a problem with beefalo with them momma cows. I think it takes about 3 generations before they can give birth without performing a C-section. Belgian Blue....

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here