Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork share subscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork share subscription

Anyone have any info on this? Looks like it could be a good way to buy in bulk without taking up a bunch of freezer space. I might give it a shot depending on the response from people here! Also anyone try that breed of hog???
    $163.87 every other month + shipping Want to lock in a quarter hog but not all at once? This plan is for you! This subscription will ship a quarter of a hog across six months, ongoing until canceled. A shipment will come every other month (3 shipments per 6 month period). If you would like to have

Looks interesting. Maybe about 40 lbs of pork (low end estimate and they don't give weights for the ham steak or pork shank) at $450 so roughly $11.25/lb. Would like to see some ribs included.

I'm not familiar with the Mangalitsa breed. You can order some individual cuts to try them out and see if this breed is to your liking.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice input, I didn’t even calculate that lol 😂 not exactly cheap

Mangalitsa is incredible, it’s like Iberico. The best ham I’ve ever had in my life was from a mangalica.

eta, I got nowhere to put that much pork. But if I did, I’d just buy it.

eta again, also look into Cheshire pork. It’s not a subscription service, but it is a great product. The pigs are much bigger than Duroc, and the meat is a deep, dark red, and very flavorful. It’s my current affordable favorite.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1B4A96A8-A71B-4E67-A761-B90C00065945.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	1196217

https://www.dartagnan.com/mangalica-...tage-pork.html
    Last edited by Mosca; March 26, 2022, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I’m wanting to stock up on some great pork chops!

Mangalitsa are primarily known as a lard hog. They are prized for their fat.

Comment

If you have a choice, and are looking for a meat hog, look for red wattle or Berkshire. They are the superior meat breeds IMO.

Comment

Very tasty breed!

texastweeter is right. Definitely lots of fat. We carried it every now and again at my old job.

This is just a photo from the internet. Not an exaggeration in my past experience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2E468A1F-EB76-45FD-AA9D-602F8A509547.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1196345

Comment

It seems expensive to me. A local farm that I buy from offers 30 lb. shares of Berkshire for $165 ($5.50/lb). It seems the price on the hogs you're looking at would be closer to $10/lb. Maybe that's a fair price for the convenience of receiving it in roughly 15 lb lots. That breed could also just run at a higher price.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            jerrybell wish I was your neighbor!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here