Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen items partially thawed... What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen items partially thawed... What would you do?

I received a meat shipment just a few minutes ago. I opened it up and got right to getting it all into the freezer. My first package was a partially thawed 1lb ground beef. I didn't think too much of it. But, there were a couple or few who had some thawing occurring. I had ordered 2 chickens and each had partial thawing.. like the top/sides of the leg, for example. Most of both chickens were still frozen.

I don't have an infrared device, so I pressed my thermapen against the squishy areas of one of the chickens (though I assume this is probably not very accurate?). The highest reading I got was 42 degrees F.

Should I be worried about this thawing? I've always been told to not refreeze. Is that an issue? I cannot eat enough to cook 2 chickens, 4 or 5 lbs of ground beef, chuck roast, chuck eye and pork chops The chops and eye I think are supposed to be fresh, and thus not frozen, and they were completely unfrozen.

If it's vacuum packed, I would refreeze. Otherwise, I'd probably refreeze too, as its still partially frozen anyway (I've done it a few times and don't recall any adverse effects).

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I put everything into the freezer except for one chicken. Going to thaw it and cook it!

You good. 42 ain't nothin' to worry about.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought it would be okay... I guess it just bothers me when I expect something to be frozen and it isn't Especially since it was just shipped yesterday and showed up today.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup.

I think the "safe" temps are supposed to be below 40 deg. I got a shipment today from Porter Road where everything but one cut was frozen solid. The tres major temped at 42. I decided to keep it as it was on the top of frozen product, and the order shipped yesterday morning. I would contact the seller and ask them.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine was PR as well. You know, they take that meat past me to Lebanon, and then turn around and send it back via FedEx haha!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Porkies, that is funny. I had an order sit in Nashville once for a full day. Nashville is only 2 hours away; I could have gone and picked it up.

An old butcher's trick is to partially thaw a big hunk of meat to the point where you can cut it into smaller pieces, then refreeze. I've done it several times with no untoward effects.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve partially thawed a whole beef primal and cut it into ribeyes, which I then refroze. The steaks are excellent.

Who'd you order from? I know some retailers will specify that some items may arrive frozen or partially thawed.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      It was Porter Road, and they do deliver some items which they say may be frozen or thawed. The steaks, for example, are supposed to be fresh,but sometimes are frozen. I have no problem with it. They have a fine line to draw between too much of an item, and running out of an item for a week or two. My real worry was the warmth of the delivered box exterior, the chicken, and that I don't have an meter I can shoot at surfaces.

As Jerod stated, you are fine. Bacterial growth is a result of temperature and time, but field inspectors needed set cut off limits, so 40-140 was adopted in many situations because time was removed from the equation. Jerod is absolutely correct in that 42 for a several hours of time is nothing to worry about.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I had no idea it was several hours, but I should have considered refrigerator thawing of items which can take a day or more.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      In a previous post, which I can’t find now, I quoted the rule making guidance from the USDA when they talked about setting 40-140. It was interesting to see all the time v temp data they used and the safety factors built into the 40 degree number.

I'd not be overtly concerned, if'n my foods arrived at 42°, whatsoever...jus git it in th icebox, or freezer, as ya wish, an all will be well...

Comment

I agree that if it's still partially frozen you're probably fine to refreeze.

Comment

The real question is would you drink a beer that had been chilled and then set out at room temp if it was chilled once again?

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
          Oakgrovebacon commented
          Editing a comment
          Well of course, drink it.

Holding foods like potato salad, sliced fruit, etc., on a picnic table in the summer is dangerous. Cooking large amounts of gumbo, rice, chicken spaghetti, etc., then cooling at stinkin' ROOM TEMP (this ticks me off) is very dangerous.

​​​​​Notice the above examples are dealing with temps waaaay above 40-F....and they will likely only be reheated, NOT thoroughly cooked again in order to achieve any kind of lethality.

Comment

I got my Porter road delivery today and was crazy happy with the temps! It was 109f today and the items that shipped fresh were just under 40f surface temp. We'll see if there is a significant taste difference versus Costco meats. The portions are definitely much smaller.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here