Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket in Italy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket in Italy??

Any folks in Italy out there? Just moved to Rome and trying to find brisket. Was told it was "punta di petto" but when I went to pick it up, it clearly was not. Turned out, when I pushed back, that the butcher confirmed that the thin piece of meat was from the belly. Anyone know how to request true brisket for smoking? Thanks!

Hal

Yeah, ya go: Whatsa matta you, gimme a bigga piece-a beefa, we call ita the brisket, ya know what I mean?
    See if that will work.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the same Italian I grew up with! Some of the very best humans God ever granted us!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Whats da matter with you, why U looka so sad, it’s a notta so bad, it’s a nicea place, ah shut up a U face.
      Oh sorry, could not help my self……hopa you finda soma gooda briskit
      and yes, I might have been hittin the vino 😁

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob , ya do that mighty fine pilgrim.

For what it’s worth, Google translates brisket as la punta di petto. Maybe the problem isn’t what you were told, but the butcher. Have you considered bringing in a picture of a cow showing the cuts of meat and point to what you want?

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, thees is the tail. Thees is the head. And thees are the utter things.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, this should work.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      but be ready to run like hell!

This page might help:

Beef Brisket info, Meat Buyers Guide specs & recipes. There are many popular methods of preparing brisket which affect its yield and flavor.

Maybe you or a friend could translate for the butcher.

Comment

Thanks for suggestions and comic relief! I tried the "punta di petto" as well as the pictures without success. Hard to believe that there aren't bbq fans here that smoke brisket. Hopefully someone here will read this at some point and offer suggestions in Italian!

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        What was the response when you showed him a pic of a cow with the cuts marked? I guess I am surprised that didn’t work.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        You kinda are in pork country.

Tried it twice. At one butcher, they asked me how long it took to cook it. I said I understood it could take 10+ hours. Was then told that people here won't want anything that took more than an hour! Not sure if he was kidding. At the second, it lead to a heated debate between two of the butchers. Only thing that was clear was that they didn't have it. Didn't leave knowing whether the cut is available and, if so, how to ask for it.

Comment

Grew up with Italian speaking friends but have lost all of the little I learnt. I know that's of no help so no idea why I even mentioned it.
        I'd opt for a chuck then. Just as good if not better.

Comment

See if you can find a Jewish butcher shop. They should definitely know what a brisket is!

Comment

Originally posted by Hal View Post
          Any folks in Italy out there? Just moved to Rome and trying to find brisket. Was told it was "punta di petto" but when I went to pick it up, it clearly was not. Turned out, when I pushed back, that the butcher confirmed that the thin piece of meat was from the belly. Anyone know how to request true brisket for smoking? Thanks!

Hal
          And be sure to talk using your hands

Comment

Seeing that I am retired, it’s raining out and I have time on my hands I did a search for how to say beef brisket in Italian and the translation came back as "petto di manzo",,,,,,
            maybe you were asking for steak tips,,,,😂🤣😂
            they’re only in New England,,,,

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I just did a reverse translation on this and it means "beef breast" in English.

(I'm also retired...

whole packer brisket = petto intero dell'imballatore

PBR the best beer = PBR la migliore birra

BTW a picture is worth a thousand words.
            So, show him a picture of three and say, "Whatsa madder You", "Give me this or dammi questo!"

Comment

Italy has such a storied and historical food culture that you may even find resistance to doing anything to a hunk of cow they don’t already do. I wouldn’t call it snobbery, but when in Rome…

Comment

There’s 2 briskets on every cow,,,,
                they gotta be doing something with them,,,

Comment

You could try showing a butcher this video. Maybe have someone translate while it's running.

Comment

Part of the problem you're having is that Italian, as it's taught, is really the Florentine dialect, more or less. And it really didn't gain wide acceptance until sometime between 1880 and 1950. Prior to unification, Italy was really like 400 small countries on one spit of land, owing allegiance or enmity to their 30 neighbors, more or less, and frequently changing leadership, from one decade to the next.

As a result, a lot of the words for food have never really conformed to modern Italian nomenclature, so cuts of beef in Milan have different names from those in Rome, which differ from those in Piemonte, and vary from those in Emiligia-Romagne.

This isn't the be-all, end-all of rosetta stones, but:
                    Besides the difficulties in finding the right name, Italian beef cuts are portioned in different ways and sizes.

In the front portion of the animal there are Fesa di spalla, copertina, girello di spalla and sottospalla, which are subcuts of the brisket, or round. Punta di petto and collo are the chuck and the top part of the brisket.
                    Collo is the point muscle, somewhere in Italy.

Point to your chest. pectoral muscle. Man tit. Say you want that, but from the cow. The whole thing. Collo and the rest.

Comment

• STEbbq
                      STEbbq commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like this idea too. There has to be a solution here as it is basically a communication issue versus them breeding cows without brisket muscles in Italy. They can’t export all the briskets to Texas man. I wouldn’t expect to pay $3.99 a pound or kg though.
                      Last edited by STEbbq; September 6, 2022, 04:27 PM.

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, that’sa what I sorta said. 😎

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here