Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ream's Meats in Elburn IL dosent.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ream's Meats in Elburn IL dosent.......

Just returned from Ream's Meats in Elburn I'll. Wanted to try a Chuck eye roast and a couple Chuck eye steaks. The butcher there said they don't produce Chuck eye roast because it's the same as pot roast. Never got an answer on the steaks. Very disappointing.

Seems like it's getting impossible to find a really good butcher. May have to turn to the internet

Carrying chuck eye isn't the mark of a good butcher. There are many different ways to butcher the shoulder clod that is chuck. Chuck eyes are pretty, but making them messes up the chuck pot roasts, which are much more in demand. I couldn't find Elburn on a map, but if they do whole animal butchery, I'd be very surprised. So, for them to produce a chuck eye would require special order or breaking down a more profitable cut and producing waste.

Good luck finding these cuts. I think my Jewel carries the steaks from time to time, but never a thing I want, as I like the full chuck roast.

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been to Ream's, I'd be about 99% positive they are cutting from box beef. It's a smaller place, so they probably don't go through enough grind to use up a lot of trim, so that's probably the reason they don't do chuck eye roasts.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      The whole animal butcher most wants you to buy ground beef. ~200 lbs of trim and scraps on a carcass, the largest portion of any single thing.

I think most butchers are cutting from box primals nowadays. Paulina in Chicago does some of both, so they can cut something special for a customer (like they did me a whole, bone in strip loin... it was expensive tho). But most of your smaller butchers are not breaking down carcasses.

I ordered some Chuck eye steaks from Porter Road. They butcher their own cattle but don't cut Chuck eye roasts as they prefer to cut the eye into steaks.

So I ordered a tri tip instead.

By the way, Elburn is in northern iIllinoi on route 47.

Comment

I’ve tried tri tip a few times. 😃

Its hard to beat a good one with a board sauce. I’m partial to grilled lemons and fresh chilies added to mine.

i hope to see some great pics.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        mmmm board sauce...

pic of Homer here: X

Ill keep you all posted...

Comment

Where are you located? Many other butchers in Hampshire, Marengo, LITH...

Comment

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          or DeKalb, Yorkville, Creston, to name a few

The problem as I see it is true butchery is becoming somewhat of a dying art. What we eat in this country is driven by the commodities market where whole primals are broken down by one set of cutters, sent to another set of cutters who then box up their smaller subprimals to delivery to local meat cutters. In short it’s a dollar driven industry with the same sort of assembly line mentality as auto makers. Special cuts like chuck eye roasts aren’t making them as much money and thus are not in their wheelhouses. They know the number of cuts that do and that’s what they offer. It’s not practical any other way.

If you can find a local source where old fashioned butchery is still practiced, like small local farmers. Otherwise cuts like chuck eyes, hangar and other good cuts will be difficult to find.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. Not enough people want to pay for it. We get used to $3.00 prime packers at Costco and use that as our index.

I paid $15.00 for a salad the other day and was like ehh... what did I just do? Then I remembered what I get for salad.

It was delicious.

Comment

If anyone in northern Illinois knows of a true butcher that will cut to order I'd sure like to hear about it. But I feel Troutman is right. So many places now get their meat cut and boxed by the big meat packers. Ive tried 2 in my area, Ream's and Butcher On The Block but no luck for this cut.
          BTW, Porter Road carries hangers.

Comment

• bbqharry
            bbqharry commented
            Editing a comment
            Try-
            Inboden’s Meat Market http://meatplace.com/
            They're located in DeKalb, IL

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Or Headon's in Creston

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Your not alone, same up here in the GTA.

I don't know about your part of the country, but here in the southeast, Publix supermarket has chuck eye steaks, so you might check whatever local supermarket(s) are in your area. I have never bought chuck eye from them, but for the sake of nostalgia, we occasionally grill a 7 bone chuck - its excellent. When I was a single father with 3 young children, "steak night" was a big deal, and steak was grilled 7 bone chuck . . . Winn Dixie sold it for 49¢ per pound in those days.

Comment

Sorry, just cant deal with going into the city, although its only an hour or so by Metra. Grew up there and spent 20 years on the Chicago Police force. When I retired I promised myself I'd never go back. But it's really a great place that many people love.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Suburbs have fewer options. That's the trade. TYFYS.

It’s difficult getting decent cuts. If Costco didn’t have packer briskets I’d never get to cook them.

Comment

Ream’s is a family owned store that has been around for decades. If there is a question to be asked, one should ask to speak to Randy, Janelle or Phyllis and they will take care of you. Great people, i have known them for years. Maybe a biased opinion, I have actually done work in their old shop and have seen their new one. They have the band saws to cut what you need. I think it might have been an unfortunate situation that seems to give a bad reflection here. Though Ream’s is not cheap, they’re busy. I do believe that they can and will provide a great service to all customers.

Comment

Ream's is a great place, no doibt. When I asked about the Chuck eye roast the girl at the meat counter went into butchering area to ask about it. She came back and informed me Reams doesn't provide that cut and suggested a Chuck pot roast.

No big deal here. If they don't cut a Chuck eye roast I'm sure it's for good business reasons. Even Porter Road dosent provide it through on line orders as they rather produce Chuck eye steaks.

Might all have to do with customer demand.

Comment

Thanks for tips on Inboden’s Meat Market and Headon's. When the freezer gets down a bit I'll give them a call and ask about the chuck eye roast. Just got some chuck eye steaks from Porter Farms, looking forward to trying those.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here