Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local (Orlando Area) butcher offering SRF Picanha and NY strip Memorial Day weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local (Orlando Area) butcher offering SRF Picanha and NY strip Memorial Day weekend

In an earlier post about Orlando area butchers, Potkettleblack recommended the Local Butcher and Market in Winter Garden. I didn't take the time to check them out, but did get on their mailing list. So, yesterday, I got this add from them:

Attached Files

Ok, I hit post on the previous input by mistake, so continuing on . . .

Went by the Local Butcher and Market yesterday afternoon. Picked up a SRF picanha, a SRF strip loin, and a choice strip loin. Had the butcher cut 3 nice thick slices from the picanha, and was a bit surprised when he said that I didn't have to buy the remainder. Took it anyway. Tonight we're going to grill the strip loins for a comparison cook. Pics attached to prove it happened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5250524.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	685300

Name:	P5260131.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	685301

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Just curious, what did they charge for the picanha?

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman The picanha was $25.99 per pound. Hard to compare directly with the SRF website which is $75 each with "average" weight of 2.5 pounds. The picanha I bought was 3.5 pounds.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that’s a healthy price for sure. That is a superior piece of meat, hope you enjoyed it !!

I looked at their Facebook page. They actually used the words "American Kobe".

Hucksters. Rules out my patronage.

Comment

I can't quite understand your "Hucksters" comment Bkhuna - The USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service provides requirements for and certification of numerous marketing labels for beef cattle including American Kobe-style beef. Equivalent to labeling certain steers as "certified Angus"

Comment

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        Marketing is not a dirty word Bkhuna. Virtually every product we buy is marketed in one way or another. Reputable companies like Snake River Farms (and many others) market their beef in accordance with the rules and regulations of the country in which they do business. If that makes them "hucksters" so be it.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree to disagree. But hey, those who choose to pay more for something that is intentionally mismarked are free to do so.

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        I too agree to disagree. Those who choose to consider accurately described and marketed products of reputable companies "mismarked" are welcome to do so.

Just because it's legal doesn't make it ethical. Putting the word Kobe and a kanji character on the cryo bag is a blatant attempt misrepresent the product.

Comment

I may be wrong and certainly don’t want to get in the middle of your spat, but I thought I read where they did allow some of the Kobe line to be cross bread with certified Angus, thus the origins of American Kobe. I’ll look into it further out of curiosity, but this may be a legitimate product.

Comment

I see they are in Winter Park also which is closer for me. I’ll follow this thread and debate and maybe I’ll take a ride over.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Went to Winter Springs location on Sat. Picked up a few real nice sausages. Passed on the beef.

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            Willard If your intent is to get Snake River Farms products, I would recommend calling first. I was told at the Winter Garden location that they carry some SRF around the holidays, but will order at any time.

From what I can find on the old inter web, there has never been a cross between true Kobe and Angus here in the US. In fact there are only a handful of actual Kobe Wagyu animals shipped to the US in any given year, chances of even eating the real thing is rare indeed.

Obviously there has been other examples of Wagyu crossed with Angus to produce American Wagyu. The name American Kobe was coined early on because Kobe became synonymous with Wagyu beef in general.

The correct, and more honest term, is really American Kobe Style. Funny how dropping a word from a description can change or mislead the meaning. Either way having the American moniker in front of it sets it apart from true Kobe so I see nothing dishonest just a bit misleading. American Wagyu is the better term, that is an actual product.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Wagyu -
            Wa is Japanese for Japanese
            Hyu is Japanese for Cow.

Wagyu isn't a single breed. There are several subspecies of cows that constitute Wagyu. In the prefecture where the city of Kobe is located they use the Tajima cow.

You are correct about cross breeding in the US. The stuff passed off as "American Kobe" is "wangus".

The issue of Kobe fraud in the US has been written about thoroughly by Bon Appetit, Forbes , etc.
            Last edited by Bkhuna; May 29, 2019, 03:24 PM.

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            "American Wagyu" and "Sometimes Called American Style Kobe" are the terms Snake River Farms uses to describe their products. These are also the terms used by the USDA. Let's discuss whether the product is good to eat.
            Last edited by johnec00; May 29, 2019, 03:55 PM.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea I’m aware what Wagyu means, and I read the Bon Appetit and Forbes articles (which have since been updated, read the updates). The point is it’s a well used, albeit inaccurate, way of describing the cross breed. Saying you reject a certain vendor for using it condemns everyone else who does as well. Just enjoy the beef.

I stopped by their Winter Park shop a few weeks ago and asked if they had tri-tip and they pointed me to their picanha and said only their Winter Garden location caries tri-tip for some reason. They carry some beautiful looking meat. I even started playing the Florida lottery in hopes that one day I'll be able to buy some.

Comment

Winter Garden has a pretty large pile of Tri Tip. They a several lbs. larger than any I've seen since I left central California. Too big for just two people.

Comment

Finally got around to cooking the NY strips mentioned in the introductory post. Dry brined overnight, cooked indirect (~240º) to 125º IT. Then fire seared for a couple of turns. They were a little more toward medium than I would have liked.

Name:	sear.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	688014

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	688015

SRF Wagyu on the right, Choice on the left. Three of us ate them with twice baked potatoes and herb buttered asparagus spears. Two of the party did not know what was different about the two steaks.

Verdict: All 3 of us thought there was no identifiable difference in tenderness, both were tender and juicy. As to flavor, all three said they were clearly different. One said "beefier", the second said "just tastes better" and the third (me) said different.

Was the SRF version worth twice as much? Maybe for special occasions. Was it worth 4 times what we normally pay for prime NY on sale at Fresh Market? No, or the occasion would have to be really special.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here