Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Points Available from Publix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Points Available from Publix

Some years ago, Publix (common supermarket throughout Florida and the southeast) sold brisket points. We got them several times, but they were expensive, and places like Restaurant Depot, Walmart, and now Wild Fork sell whole packers for a lot less. We cut off the points for BBQ (there's only the 2 of us), and use the flats for sausage, corned beef, etc. A recent post in the Pit got me wondering if Publix could still get them, so I asked the meat manager. He didn't really answer, but said he would cut one from a packer for me. I'd put my foot in my mouth, so I said sure, not expecting much. The guy brought out a packer, plopped it down on the counter and asked what I wanted and what I was going to do with it. I explained what I usually do, and he proceeded to liberate the point, then proceeded to do a beautiful job of meticulously trimming it. So, I ended up with a 3+ pound point for almost $10 a pound, rather expensive, but trimmed PBC ready, so not really so bad. I don't know if this level of good service is typical of all Publix, or if I just got lucky, but I'd be interested if anybody has similar experiences.

Click image for larger version

Name:	point.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1386949

Brisket brunt ends in your future?

Comment

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really a fan of burnt ends, there's generally just 2 of us, so we BBQ it, usually in the PBC or the green egg, have it for dinner and leftovers for sandwiches or whatever.

I've only seen flats at my local Publix, and they did away with the meat counter. Everything is pre-packaged...

Comment

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      No meat counter? Interesting . . . This area is a target rich environment for Publix stores, there are 8 within 5 miles of my home. Can't say I've been in all of them, but the 3 that I frequent all have meat counters and seafood counters. It's true that the only briskets in the bins are overpriced choice flats, but I've gotten packers from them (also overpriced) when I couldn't find them anywhere else.

my Publix has some good guys behind the counter that will accommodate, just a little expensive as you said. Have you tried the Blue Ways Salmon farmed in Florida? Ask for a whole filet in the cooler and try it, I don’t but what’s out all day. It’s impressively raised and more safe than “third world” in my opinion.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here