Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UF Meat Retail Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UF Meat Retail Store

I've been aware for quite some time that the UF Animal Sciences program includes a meat processing center and that they have a retail store (address and map at the link) to sell the meat they produce. They are only open on Fridays and only accept cash or check. I had heard, though, that the meat is of very high quality, very fresh and at reasonable prices.

Today was the day I finally made it there. I only dipped my toe a little into their wares, buying a rack of pork spareribs, a piece labeled "beef spareribs". some smoked sausage and a couple of ribeyes. The steaks appear to be about two inches thick at the thicker end. As you can see in the photo, the ribeyes appear to be well-marbled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-09 13.00.10.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	1015409

As I was paying, the fellow behind the register (who I'm pretty sure is the director of the program) informed me that more things are available early in their day. They open at 9 am and I was there around noon. I had really wanted to get a pork loin, but there were none. There also were no briskets. Oh well, that gives me things to look for on later trips. He did inform me, though, that the pork spareribs were "running around on the ground" on Wednesday morning, so you can't get any fresher than that.

Name:	2021-04-09 12.59.46.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1015410

Sadly, I just checked with my daughter and it won't work out to have a ribs and sausage event with them (and the grandbabies) this weekend, so into the freezer they go. Also sadly, my wife had recent oral surgery and is not a fan of steaks anyway, so I think I'll have to freeze the ribeyes as well.

I'll probably take two of the five smoke sausage links and put into a Portuguese soup with our CSA kale that I picked up today, so all is not lost.

Nice find Jim. Wish we had something similar closer to us.

Comment

Look here, Jim, I can just run down there and help you out. I don't want you to be sad...

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Come on down any time! We have plenty of space!

Beef spareribs? There are short ribs and back ribs but the USDA doesn't recognize the term "beef spareribs".

Give 'em credit, if UF can pretend to have a football program, I suppose their Animal Sciences department can have "beef ribs".

(It's never too early to have SEC smack talk between the Gators and the Tide; no Gators were harmed during this playful taunting).

Last edited by Bkhuna; April 9, 2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't look at me. My only season tickets are baseball and I do believe we're a bit more accomplished there.

Made another trip this morning. We will be having my wife's students over Thursday evening for an outdoor, distanced meal for the first time in over a year. I had hoped to get a brisket, but despite arriving three minutes after opening, I missed out. No worries, though, as the chuck roasts were so marbled they rival prime:

Name:	2021-04-23 09.35.46-1.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	1021549

Gotta think through this cook to decide if it's overnight at 225 or a really early start at 275. I want to make sure they get all the way to pulling stage and get at least a couple of hours of rest. Students usually arrive around 6 or so.

For us, I got a package of chorizo and a really nice-looking flank steak. Fajitas in our future! The flank steak is cut thin but rolled over in the package. Fairly good marbling on it, too.

Name:	2021-04-23 09.36.37-1.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1021550

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here