Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting video on cattle rearing on YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting video on cattle rearing on YouTube

Just watched an interesting video on YouTube, and I do apologize for my inability to post links to these video's, I am inept when it comes to this stuff.
    If someone could post the link I would appreciate your help.
    It was posted by SaskDutch Kid, he follows the rearing of Holstein steers on his family farm in Saskatchewan.
    Shows the process of how the steers are handled from birth to weaning 5 and a half months to 17 months when they are sent for slaughter.
    More importantly at about the 14 minute mark he breaks down to the dollar how much it costs his farm to rear one steer during that 17 month period.
    I was surprised by the final dollar number so wonder what your reaction might be.
    More importantly for the farmers amongst us your reaction to these numbers.

Comment

That’s the one thank you very much

Comment

very interesting. Thank you

Comment

Impressive operation they run there. Anyone who has an appreciation for facility can imagine that they have significant capital cost in structure and equipment. For those that like to play with the numbers (and the following is not criticism just added commentary) he didn't include overhead costs in those calculations. Maintaining those buildings and equipment, costs of utilities and fuel, and on and on (including government imposed fees), there's a lot of cost there beyond his very good presentation.

Looked/sounded like he doesn't exactly agree with dad about the breeding choices, but his time to decide will come eventually.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad you enjoyed it, my guess is the video would have been three hours long if he really started number crunching for the entire operation.
            I hope he decides to break down the dairy operation, facility costs, crop costs etc in future episodes.
            I watch another farming YouTuber called 10th Generation Dairy Farmer, who sells the majority of his bulls in as soon as possible.
            Different philosophies for sure.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here