Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wright brand bacon at Sam's Club: WOW.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wright brand bacon at Sam's Club: WOW.

I was looking at the latest SRF advertisement (items under $25, free shipping over $149) and they had bacon there. And I remember getting their bacon once, and while it was good, it wasn't really overwhelming; it was bacon, but not outstanding.

The bacon I just got from Sam's Club, Wright's, is OUTSTANDING. Dang good eatin' outstanding, in fact. Highly recommended, lots cheaper than SRF, and you can go pick it up at your local Sam's. They have regular, applewood smoked, and pecan smoked. The last one I got was the pecan smoked. Very mild smoke flavor, mostly crispy pork.

I haven't been overly impressed with SRF lately, I'm sorry to say. It's not just that it's expensive, it's also that I can get equal or better quality locally, for less. Of everything I got in the half price sale last winter, everything was "good", and nothing was great.

Bacon…… thanks. Another reason to stop at Sam's.

Comment

• LeeAvirett
      LeeAvirett commented
      Editing a comment
      Wright's is one of the very best commercial bacons on the market. Walmart sells it every day in 24 oz. packs for $7.95, and sometimes for even less. You don't have to hunt up a Sams. They also sell "double smoked" hickory sometimes and a brown sugar variety along with hickory and apple. They start with quality meat that is not swill fed and it makes a difference with how it cooks.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I got 3lb packages, don't remember what I paid. $18 is what I'm guessing.

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I just got a package of double smoke and it is really good.

Wright's is the only bacon I buy now. It's available in all the local grocery stores as well as Walmart.

It makes the absolute best BLT. Especially this time of year when I can go down to the garden, pick a few ripe tomatoes, and slice them thick. The only thing that takes it up a notch is to add some home grown corn on the cob. Not BBQ, but pure Culinary Heaven.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      So you add kernels from the corn to the BLT?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy - No - we eat the corn on the cob, but adding the corn takes the meal to another level.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha! In my little world, the BLT is eaten with nothing else. That said, I have added a fried egg (yolk still runny) and/or thinly sliced onion to a BLT on RARE occasion.

Same here, other than some I occasionally get from my butcher, Wright’s is our go to commercial bacon. Love the applewood smoked type.

Comment

My favorite is the hickory smoked.

Comment

Good to know! However, if I am at Sam's I am most likely to get pork belly to make my own bacon, since in my house homemade bacon is a rarity because no one near me sells belly, and Sam's is about a 35 min drive. It is good to know I have a backup in case they're out of bellies though!

Comment

Perhaps a dumb/noob questions: What's SRF?

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Thanks

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome Murdy !

Murdy me thinks you needs to introduce yerself over in the
            introduce yerself department. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Oh, Mosca, I get my bacon at a local shop that smokes there own. I choose not to compete with them, it’s so good.
            Last edited by FireMan; August 1, 2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• CRO
              CRO commented
              Editing a comment
              Is it Helds in Slinger?
              The BEST bacon, I always buy 5 or 10 pounds when I'm up there.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Eden Meat Mkt in Eden.

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              CRO Note FireMan's comment if you haven't already

Yep, this is good bacon, and I will buy it if I run out of my own bacon. To be honest.... my wife prefers her bacon extra crispy, and my "hot smoked" home made bacon does not quite get to that crispiness where she likes hers to be.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife is the same way, only extra crispy, but homemade hot smoked bacon wrapped around a venison tenderloin is to die for. It cooks perfectly without over cooking the tenderloin.

Wrights is really good and available at any grocery store around me. Still eat more of it than homemade, but Im working on that.

Comment

This is good to know and timely. I have been very disappointed with Costco's Kirkland brand bacon recently, and have been looking for a good store bought bacon. I wil go with Wrights for my next bacon cook. Haven't tried to make my own yet, but it's on an ever growing list of things I want to smoke.

Comment

ok, just picked up some double smoked hickory, thanks for the "porks up"!

Comment

Just had my first taste of Wright’s bacon this morning. Good stuff. Learned about it from this thread. Thanks everyone for recommending it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here