Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally made it to Costco and....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally made it to Costco and....

So I finally made it over to Costco to check out what they had after seeing so many of you post the wonderful things you have found at your Costco's and it didn't go as well as I would have hoped.

The prices on everything were actually really good and better than I can find anywhere else around here on what they had, however, they didn't have what I was looking for.

First up, do they have a Full Packer Brisket? - Nope. They didn't have a full packer Brisket, they only had flats. Choice Flats. They looked good for flats but if I'm going to spend my entire day doing brisket, I really want a whole packer, not just a flat. I may end up trying one eventually as the prices were good, but was disappointed they didn't have full packers. The worst part though was when I asked the "butcher" who was filling the bins of meat if they had full packers/briskets...

me - "do you have any full packer briskets"
    him - "yes right over there" (pointing to where all the flats are)
    me - "can you show me please?" (i was really excited as I just thought I overlooked them somehow)
    him - "yes right here" (bringing me over to the flats and showing me up close)
    me - "do you have full packer briskets, with the flat, and the point? These are just flats"
    him - "yes these are full briskets"
    me - "no these are flats, only part of a brisket, where are the points?"
    him - "these are the full briskets"

at this point I gave up. I was pretty surprised that anyone working in a meat department would not know what a full brisket was.

Next Up, Boston Butts?
    They had Boston Butts that looked good and were at a great price. They did not however have the bones. They were boneless and I need bones in my Butts

Good Steaks?
    Yes! The steaks were good and priced well. Almost all were choice, but they did have some great looking Prime Ribeyes. That was all the Prime they had, but I'm okay with that as those are my second favorite. They did not have Tri-Tips which is my first favorite.... I wasn't expecting them to so no biggie.

Chicken? - Yes! Smoked chicken is not my favorite, but they had tons for cheap. Perfect for a party one day.

Lamb? - Yes! Great looking Lamb...bought it and making it and grilling it tonight.

So, long story short, very disappointed in my Costco experience. I think my expectations may have been way too high. Did manage to pick up tons of other things non-meat at great prices.

Sorry for my rant. It's hard to find great meat at a great price.

That is pretty much the story for all of us on the East coast. I would advise you check out another Costco if you have any in your area. We have been seeing Prime whole brisket in just one of the three Costco in our area. Good luck. It is worth the search if you find it. Do you have Wegmans near you? I have seen tri tip pretty regularly at ours.

Comment

That's disappointing! My nearest Costco is over an hour away and all others are several hours away. One of these days I'm going to make the trip with my cooler and see what they carry (I'm looking for prime packers). Until then, my local Publix doesn't have prime but their choice looks pretty darn good (ribeyes, beef ribs, chuck roasts).

Comment

I'd ask every time I went to Costco - different people of course. I asked and asked, and asked. It took about a year, but they finally showed up after I wrote customer service. Of course, I don't know if my email had any impact...

Comment

I see the briskets there in Costco about half the time and only in certain Costco's.

im pretty happy with their boneless shoulders.

Full tenderloins are decent too if you are into that sort of thing.

chicken of all sorts is always available and usually a good deal.

They reliably have pork ribs so if I'm disappointed that day I'll just do ribs.

Comment

Prime briskets in Costco we’re $2.99, then $3.99, and now back down to $2.99 / pound. Scored me one this weekend! (Charlotte, NC)

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Pit Boss emeritus smokinsteve

• Koy Schoppe
              Koy Schoppe commented
              Editing a comment
              Gonna have to check my Greensboro one this week!

• 6th Borough BBQ
              6th Borough BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow. The flats are $4.50lb here.

6th Borough BBQ Do yourself a favor and head over to Seabra in Newark. The one on Wilson Ave is the biggest. You'll find giant beef ribs, Picanha and full packer briskets among other things.

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
              6th Borough BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Great will do! Just googled it.... is there a particular one?
              Last edited by 6th Borough BBQ; September 26, 2017, 05:07 PM.

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              6th Borough BBQ, 83 Wilson Ave. That's the one I like best and I think it's the biggest one. The one on Ferry St is very limited and doesn't have parking.

A strange thing happened here in Lubbock (West Texas) There has been a Sam's here forever but about 3 years ago a Costco opened up. I had a membership in Dallas so started going back to Costco!! They had great Choice Briskets! Then that Big Drought (and Arby's) drove the cost of Brisket sky high. I had to stop buying it. So for what ever reason the local Costco stopped carrying Choice and only selling Prime, and for less than the local stores were selling the select stuff. It seemed to me that I was trimming off way more on the Primes than I was with the Choice??? So anyway about 3 months ago the Brisket went from 2.49 a pound to 4.99 a pound!?!? To rich for my blood. I know its taken a while but here is the Strange part The local supermarket (owned by Albertsons but still under then United name) Started selling CAB Angus Choice Brisket (well actually all the meats are now) for 2.59 a pound!! The local supermarket Decided to compete with Costco!?!? Guess who wins The Consumer That's who!! I know I'm weird but we live on a fixed income so anytime business compete for our money is great by me!! Ok sorry you will now be returned to your regularly scheduled programing ...

Comment

YMMV I guess. Here in Minnesota they generally have what I want, but some weeks they don't.

Comment

I'd ask every time I went to Costco - different people of course. I asked and asked, and asked. It took about a year, but they finally showed up after I wrote customer service. Of course, I don't know if my email had any impact...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here