Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duroc Pork Ribs at Safeway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duroc Pork Ribs at Safeway

I don't know my way around the various breeds of pig, so maybe this is no big deal, but our Safeway today was selling Duroc SLCs under the "Open Nature" brand. They were $6 a pound, more than I normally pay for ribs, but, hey, it isn't Wagyu for $100/lb! They'll get smoked tomorrow.

Heh... $100 for Wagyu is reasonable from Japan. You should try to buy some Bluefin Tuna from them.... around $3500 a pound last I checked. That is a helluva lot of Duroc.. Smoke on brotha...

Comment

Origin : America
      Temperament : Very Docile
      Known for : Great marbling, excellent spareribs and juicy shoulder roasts.

Flavor Profile : Nutty, Olive, Woody, Balanced, Porky.

Duroc : The Duroc is an older breed of American domestic pig that has become one of the most popular breeds because of its great taste and strong, favorable genetics, but pure Duroc is very hard to find.

Duroc pigs are red, large-framed, medium length, and muscular, with partially drooping ears, and tend to be one of the least aggressive of all the swine breeds. Duroc meat is crisp and clean — known for great marbling, excellent spareribs and juicy shoulder roasts. Its taste and texture are polished and clean on the palate.

Durocs are a red pig strain developed around 1800 in New England and reputed to trace their ancestry back to the early red pigs first brought over by Columbus and DeSoto from the Guinea coast of Africa. Durocs are especially valued by farmers for their hardiness and quick but thorough muscle growth.

Pasture-raised, humanely raised outdoors on pasture, antibiotic free meat steaks, pork poultry free range grass fed paleo healthy turkey poultry non gmo turkey chicken farmer table all natural grass fed beef grain finished fresh food commerce mail order delivered to you door high end meat delicious well marbled pasture

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        TL;DR - it's great!

About 50 miles from my home the Compart Family is in the Hog Business. They have done a wonderful job promoting pork and the Duroc Breed. I included a link to their website. They are big promoters in the BBQ and outdoor cooking world. Good reading. https://www.compartduroc.com/

Comment

@Willy, At 1 time I had a Duroc sow & raised a some pigs for meat, Sold some as sides Even the butcher I used bought his personal use pork from me, said it was better than any other in the area. When I moved from that area & could no longer raise my own pork I found out there really was tough pork in most stores. I don,t use much pork now because I don't like what I find in stores, about the only thing it's good for is pulled pork. I miss the good stuff.
        Dave

Comment

• FlaBouy
          FlaBouy commented
          Editing a comment
          One of the first boars I put in a boil barrel was a Duroc. We raised Red Duroc's on the farm back in the 60's and for the first half of my life, Duroc was all we ate when it came to pork. We had a herd of Herefords as well. I look at the price of meat today and realize how rich we were back then.. without a dime to our name.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here