Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Brisket

I envy you folks when you say you can buy a prime grade brisket for $3.99 at Costco. Can't get my local Costco in the Pittsburg/Antioch Ca. to even order one. Is there a Costco in the SF Bay Area where someone routinely can buy a full prime packer?

Thanks,
    Steve

Uh, then you probably won't like to hear that my Costco carries prime grade brisket for $2.97/lb.
    #TexasForever

Comment

Or my Chicago one for $2.99/LB. #WindyCityRules

Comment

Those Costco primes just ain't all that
        Gave up on em

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 Thom Emery, Costco here only offers choice flats for almost twice the $ that Wally gets for choice packers from the same packer. I'm hard pressed to part with the $50 membership for a deal like that.

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          I have found them to be consistently better than the more expensive choice grades available at my local grocery store.

I've done prime and choice and I gotta tell ya I can't tell the difference. Probably because I'm so freaking awesome with my cooking. Going to try a select one day since that's what BBQ is all about is cheap cuts cooked low and slow.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, then cook a brisket in the time it takes one roman candle to go off.

• SlushDeezey
          SlushDeezey commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll cook it to perfection WITH a Roman candle.

I never see prime around here ( Northwest Louisiana ) but no Costco. This is really ok with me though because my local Walmart almost always has Choice brisket ( usually Excel and sometime Swift ) for 1.98 a pound.

Comment

You would notice the difference on these

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Nearly double the quality? Because it's 86% higher cost per pound.
            Last edited by Potkettleblack; July 8, 2016, 05:09 AM.

Competition quality
          Yea it costs more

Comment

Ok so i just went to Another Costco in a town called Tracy, CA and they had flats for $5.45 lb, about 7 pounds each but they were nicely trimmed choice grade. But sometimes the things are so thin and about 4 lbs with a thick fat layer. I checked Wally World out here once but i thought they were only select grade. Maybe I will check again. $2.97 lb? We can't get hamburger here that cheap.

Comment

I would guess there's a different wholesaler and different demand curve in California. Midwest and Texas, we grow more cows.

Comment

+1 for the brisket prime at Costco. Have done several and been pleased with all. I separate the point and the flat for cooking and cook each to its desired temp.

Comment

I've yet to cook a prime, other than a pair of Gold Waygu's from SRF, which were super fun!

Comment

That's the other thing; I have read comments from other members in California that can buy prime packers at their costco down south and further north. My local grocery store actually has full packers at $2.97 but they are graded select or better on the plastic covering and they had a thick cap and them meat with no fat grains running through. May just try one for the heck of it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here