Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Beef at Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Beef at Costco

Yesterday in Tucson, Prime brisket packers were going for $2.99. Choice flats were $4.79. ????????????????

Hmmm, wonder if the Phoenix Costco has the same offer, guess I'd better check. Thanks for the Heads-up.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a regular item in Tucson. I'm sure it is in Phx as well. Also, they often carry whole pork belly if'n that sounds appealing to you.

Wish I could ever get prime brisket of any type at our Costco in Leesburg, VA. Only have choice flats. I think I just need to give up and start ordering online and keeping them in the freezer. This plan would include me purchasing a separate freezer for said meat.

Comment

I think what meats they carry must be a regional thing because all I ever see in the local Costco, (Chesterfield VA), is choice flats.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. I'm in northern NJ. I have to order a full packer and it cost $6.99/lb. I'd probably make it a lot more if it cost 3 bucks

Our local Costco (Parker, CO) carries a mix of both: choice flats and prime packers

Comment

You got to love Costco. I just picked this up there. I had to drive 40 minutes to a different one than my local, but well worth it.
        A lady started asking me questions about how to cook them, I recommended she looked at Amazing Ribs, she wrote down the info. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	161999 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	162000

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's where the cards Meathead was talking about would come in handy.

Same here on prices but the choice is trimmed up and I think that's why the higher price.

Comment

I'm cooking this prime Costco steak right now.

Comment

This post made me drive to my local Costco. USDA Prime grade packers for $2.79 a pound here in Houston. They also had whole choice rib eyes running between $140 and $165 per pack. Ouch. I just got a brisket.

Comment

Last weekend I bought a prime full packer at Costco and it's still wet-aging in the refrigerator (meaning I'm trying to figure out how I want to balance sous vide and the KBQ to cook it). At that time I also bought some prime ribeye caps, and although they tasted great, they were more fatty than I like, and wife/kids really didn't like it.

Today I stopped at Costco and they were offering a $20 discount on any prime beef tenderloin extreme peeled, so I picked up a 4 pounder for the same price as choice (ended up around $86 for 4lbs). My stepfather passed away 4 years ago tomorrow, so I am going to have to come up with a good way to prepare this on Sunday to pay respect to Jack and hopefully my mom will enjoy it as well.

For tonight, I'm just about to finish 90 minutes of sous vide on some prime sirloin steak - also from Costco. Time to sear the sirloin to go with my martini.

Although my local Costco (just opened last November) didn't start out with much prime, they are cranking it out now. Lovin' it!

Comment

So how much is a Costco membership these days? I gave mine up early in the GR when I was living on credit cards and they only took AmEx.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
                  Obi-Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  $55. And they're dissolving their relationship with Amex.

Suburban Seattle (Federal Way) store had the Prime whole packers today at $2.79 . I was tempted but I already have one in my garage freezer, and pretty much out of room for anything more that big.

They also had some Prime steak cuts, like rib-eye cap, and a couple others, but in the $14 range.

I did get a two-pack of really nicely marbled Choice tri-tips for under $6 / lb. Separated and vacuum-packed for near future use.

Comment

I have a 17 pounder from Costco (Prime) at $2.59/pound sitting in my freezer. I am going to cook it over the 4th.

Comment

I bought a USDA Prime packer at the Costco in Torrance, Ca yesterday for $2.99 per pound. I'm not sure when I'm going to smoke it but probably one day next week. I'm going to separate the point from the flat and smoke them at different heights in my large BGE.

Comment

I don't get it. Few days ago I asked the Costco butcher near me in Pittsburg Ca. and he said the only option they offer is a flat. And most of them get pretty thin, maybe one inch at the thinnest part and I wasn't sure what would happen there while the thicker part had to keep cooking. Going to have to ask if other stores can order for me. Thanks for letting us know there is some variety between Costco's.

Comment

• Paulie Brisket
                        Paulie Brisket commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Same here! My local Costco in PA only has flats and they don't look very good.

• JeffJ
                        JeffJ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think it's a timing issue. When i asked my wife to be on the lookout for brisket the first time she went they only had flats and she said they were really skinny. the second time is when she found the prime packer.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here