Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco Shrimp

Costco frozen shrimp any good?

As an aside...anyone ever purchase fresh and then vac seal / freeze for later use?

I use the 21-25 count peeled and deveined all the time. They are very good. Here's one thing I do with them that is a real hit with people. I'm always asked to bring my shrimp to get togethers. Here's my method.

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 tsp Granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp Black pepper
    1/2 to 1 tsp Cayenne pepper

Mix this up, then add the shrimp and mix it to coat them well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, no more. Grill hot and fast for 2 to 3 minutes a side or until opaque. Serve by themselves or with your favorite sauce.

I also make my own version of Shrimp bisque.

In a double boiler melt 2 Tbs. sweet butter.
    Add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of cream of chicken soup.
    Add 2 cans of Evaporated milk.
    1/4 cup Dry Sherry
    A little Worcestershire and a few shakes of you favorite hot sauce.

This is my base. I then sauté some shrimp that I have marinated as above in butter and shallots. When they are done, I remove the shrimp, pull the tails and cut into thirds. Then add the sautéed sauce and the shrimp to the base mix. Just did this last night for our Valentines Day dinner. It's my wife's favorite.

Last edited by wrgilb; February 15, 2023, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Would you mind sharing these as sep. recipes in the Seafood Recipes section (if you haven't already)?

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info...and the recipes

I’ve bought their shrimp many times, including just last Friday. Yes, their shrimp is good. Now…. it’s farm raised and not wild caught, but I’ve no complaints with it. I never buy the shrimp with heads on, don’t wanna mess with that, but their headless shrimp also has the benefit of already being deveined, so easy to peel! Most of the time I’ve found their shrimp is headless, but they also carry shrimp with heads on occasionally….

I always freeze for later when I buy shrimp. I’ll take a quart sized freezer bag and put in 6 or 8 shrimp. Add just enough water to cover the shrimp and then seal all the air out, close and freeze. Works perfect. Also, I never buy the “zipper close” type bags anymore, I like the slider type much better.

EDIT: The shrimp I buy is their fresh shrimp by the meat counter, not the frozen. Yes I know it’s been previously frozen.
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 15, 2023, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Farmed shrimp or farmed any seafood, let’s just say I have my doubts, taste put aside.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep - same here. I've read a lot about how you should never eat farmed raised shrimp or farmed seafood other than US farm raised catfish. And I guess catfish doesn't come from the sea, so it ain't really seafood!

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        I know what you mean, when I plan far enough ahead, I've been ordering gulf shrimp from Biloxi Shrimp Co.. We've been eating farmed raise Atlantic Salmon, but nothing beats the fresh salmon right out of our Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay area.

They sell both farmed that are peeled and ready to eat that are pretty good. They also sell wild caught that have to be prepped and cooked. This past Saturday they had fresh prawns that were the size of my hand. If I was going fresh and then freezing, I think I would just buy the already frozen wild caught.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I can find frozen wild caught even at crappy places like Walmart. They may not have a choice of sizes, but the US or gulf wild caught is safer than the farm raised stuff...

For ~$10 a pound, jumbo, already deveined, it’s the best deal. I love the shrimp at Costco! We do it all the time.

Comment

@Huskee​ Recipes posted under seafood. Thanks.

Comment

I buy the easy perl, deveined, 15 count from the fresh case. They’re previously frozen but I refreeze them anyway with no problems. Love them. Wifey loves my shrimp scampi. I love it because it’s so easy to make.

Comment

I buy shrimp at Costco all the time, I eat shrimp a lot. I have never gotten the Costco/Kirkland brand, though. There is a local Tampa company, Cox Seafood, that sells in the Costcos here. Not sure how widely is spread, but I try to patronize them when I can. I like their store, but it is out of my way, and Costco is on my flight pattern most every day. We also get pink wild caught Key West shrimp that is good, also not sure how widely that is spread. Lately, I've also tried their Argentine pink wild caught, also very good and often a better price, I get them if Cox's is out.

Comment

• Finster
              Finster commented
              Editing a comment
              acorgihouse
              Do yo have a recipe you can share for the cheddar grits?
              I've never made them at home, but have enjoyed them at a few local restaurants..

• Finster
              Finster commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John
              You're welcome!
              It's the foodie version of an earworm 😂

• acorgihouse
              acorgihouse commented
              Editing a comment
              Finster I would not call my grits recipe a recipe! I literally throw together. I make standard grits (and mind you, my southern grandmothers would kill me if I made quick grits. I do the standard stone ground ones.) When they start to thicken fast, but still runny enough to stir, I start stirring in shredded cheddar cheese (or I tend to use Costco Dubliner) until they are the thickness I like and no more cheese will melt in. If I'm doing the Slap 'Ya Mama on shrimp, I shake a bit in.

Thanks all. Appreciate everyone's input

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Not so fast Finster ….we ain’t done with this thread yet! 😂

Growing up my Dad used to head the shrimp place them in freezer container freezing them submerged into a block of ice. That worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
              I’ve bought their shrimp many times, including just last Friday. Yes, their shrimp is good. Now…. it’s farm raised and not wild caught, but I’ve no complaints with it. I never buy the shrimp with heads on, don’t wanna mess with that, but their headless shrimp also has the benefit of already being deveined, so easy to peel! Most of the time I’ve found their shrimp is headless, but they also carry shrimp with heads on occasionally….

I always freeze for later when I buy shrimp. I’ll take a quart sized freezer bag and put in 6 or 8 shrimp. Add just enough water to cover the shrimp and then seal all the air out, close and freeze. Works perfect. Also, I never buy the “zipper close” type bags anymore, I like the slider type much better.

EDIT: The shrimp I buy is their fresh shrimp by the meat counter, not the frozen. Yes I know it’s been previously frozen.
              Panhead John I just figured how to quote, now you are in trouble! LOL

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you stalking me or what? 😵‍💫

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought you wanted followers, correct?
                Are you not "The Fearless Amazing Rib Poster" I have been reading about?

Finster unless you are buying shrimp fresh off the boat at the coast, it has likely been frozen already before it made it to your local market, and probably thawed out in the fish case. I had this conversation a few years ago with the lady at the fish counter at Publix, where she clued me into the facts that all the stuff behind the glass at Publix in Huntsville, Alabama had been frozen and thawed for presentation, and that I could do as well just buying it in their frozen food department...

I wouldn't refreeze it again in that case, and would just buy it frozen if I want it in the freezer for convenience. If I were getting a cooler of shrimp while in Pensacola or somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico, and dragging it home - heck yeah, I would vacuum pack and freeze it!

Comment

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                This. My local Supermercado has white shrimp from the sea of Cortez, they've always been frozen and when I but from them I always ask for frozen. That way I know how long they've been thawed. with shrimps it boils down to if they ain't swimming, they ain't fresh. Honestly, you're usually better off buying bagged shrimps from the freezer than the stuff that's been thawed in the butcher case.

I've bought a decent amount of shrimp from Costco. No issues that I have experienced. Lately though, I have been buying Argentine red shrimp from the local grocery chain. They are big, already peeled and deveined, and they have a delicate taste almost like lobster than shrimp. They are great with shrimp and grits, but sometimes we will just give them a quick steam and eat them with clarified butter.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DennyWoo View Post
                I've bought a decent amount of shrimp from Costco. No issues that I have experienced. Lately though, I have been buying Argentine red shrimp from the local grocery chain. They are big, already peeled and deveined, and they have a delicate taste almost like lobster than shrimp. They are great with shrimp and grits, but sometimes we will just give them a quick steam and eat them with clarified butter.
                The interwebs is rife with comments that people have purchased the (pink) Argentine red shrimp thinking that they're already cooked since they're pink. Surprise, surprise, they find out later that the pink Argentine shrimp are raw. Moral of the story: read the fine print.

My family loves pink Argentine shrimp. I get them from Trader Joe's although I also see them at Harris Teeter. Delicious in New Orleans BBQ Shrimp (Mr. B's Bistro recipe or the one from Pascal Manale's in New Orleans) with fried corn and buttermilk cathead biscuits on the side.

About the Costco peeled/deveined shrimp, wrgilb , what is their country of origin? I only source from the US of A when it comes to shrimp that's not "Argentine" shrimp.

Kathryn

Comment

• wrgilb
                  wrgilb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Viet Nam

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh darn, wrgilb . It's hard to find larger, peeled, deveined shrimp sourced in the US. Most places like Sam's Club, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, etc. offer the larger sized shrimp but only from Vietnam, just like your Costco does.

I like ordering from Biloxi Shrimp Company, but would like to find the shrimp at local stores and not have the hassle of online order delivery delays. I'll keep looking!

Kathryn

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can I be in your family???

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here