Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Whole Lamb...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Whole Lamb...

The local CostCo has the whole lamb in the freezer...anyone have any experience cooking this bone in hunk of meat.

They also have a box with a variety of cuts. I am tempted to throw a box in my freezer but I am curious about the quality.

Any input from the Pit??

Thanks

I've seen them and goat at the Auburn Costco south of Seattle where they have more halal options. I'm sure they are fantastic quality. I haven't been disappointed with any of the larger meat cuts I have purchased there.

Comment

I have smoked a boneless leg of lamb. Goes well with mint jelly.

Comment

I buy a lot of meat at a Costco Business Center. I have seen whole lamb there often, also whole goat and this last time they had whole suckling pigs. It is a great place to shop for bbq, they have a lot more meat you would want for bbq than the normal Costco's. I am sure the pig is meant to be roasted whole, but I think the lamb and goat are meant to be butchered and probably bought mostly by small restaurants.

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
          Bad Hat BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          The Box seems like a good option for me

I think you are Spot On about the small restaurants....

I cooked one about 15 years ago for Greek relatives' 50th wedding anniversary. I basically followed Steve Raichlen's recipe in his How to Grill book. The hardest part was renting a large commercial rotisserie, and getting the lamb secured on the spit. Once it was going it was pretty straightforward. Basically just keep basting and watching the temperature. Basted it with a olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary and oregano mixture. It took about 5 hours to get to medium. It was great fun and would do it again, but you definitely need a crowd.

Comment

I had a good buddy that married into a Greek family and they taught him how to do whole lamb on a live fire rotisserie. Built the fire right on the ground and set up the spit over it. The rig had been in the family for a couple generations. Very cool. He got really good at it and did a cook three or four times a season. So good. Anyway, he divorced out of the family and rotisserie rig went away. Boo hoo. Never had it again. That was about 25 years ago at least.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here