Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A celebration of life - Steve Markley (@smarkley)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A celebration of life - Steve Markley (@smarkley)

Many of us remember Steve Markley, aka smarkley , one of our charter members so fondly.

Steve died 5/23/16.

Steve turned me on to Buffalo Trace, a fave of his.

In his memory I shall lift a shot of Buffalo Trace in his honor next Tuesday night, 5/23. For reasons unknown, I'll be toasting at 9pm.

Anyone wishing to do the same, well, give the ole boy a shout out.
    Last edited by richinlbrg; May 18, 2017, 03:55 AM. Reason: Edited to correct the year he passed

He was a great man and a valued member to The Pit. Always in great spirits, full of wit and ALWAYS willing help. Steve was one of the guys that really helped me up my game, when I first joined The Pit.
    In addition the BBQ, Steve was also a driving force for me to look into Cast iron cooking. My obsession with everything Cast Iron, is the result of his passion in the art. I really enjoyed our conversations about cast iron here .
    He was also one of The Pit's first KBQ owners as well. You can look at his conversations with everyone at about page 5 of the KBQ Has Landed Thread. I frequently refer back to those posts for a laugh or just to reminisce.

Thanks for posting Rich! May Smarkley's memory live on in The Pit forever!

Comment

Rich
      Steve was a great man. He gave me the skill of Camp Dutch oven. He became a close Freind. He was a great member here.

Thank you for the post. I will join you in the honor.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks again for being the link between us and Steve when things went south. Your a good man Jon Solberg. A good man indeed.

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you but I didn't do nothin Spin. Lots of memories in that whole deal. I'm going to fire up an oven that day as well. Looking forward to the toast. He was a good dude man. Just a goob dude.
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 18, 2017, 06:42 AM.

My thoughts go out to Steve's family smarkley your in my thoughts. I just lost my mom on 5/9/17. So I know what you're going through. It's a sad time but embrace the good times. It will help you get through it all.

Comment

Tippin' my hat honorifically, wish I had gotten here sooner...
      Will (do) have requisite Buffalo Trace standin' by, for this event!
      Joinin' in with ya', richinlbrg !!!!

Comment

I'm a bit choked up reading this. Rich you already know I'm in.....

Comment

I, like Mr. Bones am relatively new here in the pit but I have seen smarkley in many older discussions and will remember him as a respectful and helpful pit brother. Thanks richinlbrg .

Comment

What a nice post richinlbrg! He turned me onto it as well. I just sipped the last of my BT the other day but I have some Eagle Rare which is essentially BT's 10yr offering. I hope this counts as the same in this context. I raise a shot at 9pm ET on 5/23 with you!

Comment

Let's all reconvene here with pics of our shots at that time (if we can)!

Comment

Didn't know that about ER, Huskee !! THANK YOU!!

ER is easy to get in my neck of the woods. Buffalo Trace, VERY difficult. My liquor store only gets a few bottles in now and then, and they hide it under the cash register. You have to know to ask for it.

They told me it is rationed in these parts. GEESH

I'm happy to have such company on the 23rd! Hopefully, it'll bring a smile to his face!
                Last edited by richinlbrg; May 18, 2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My regular Liquor Store is almost always out of it, as well.... others in town, no prob!!! Go figger!

I will look for Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare and plan to join the toast. If I can't find those I will use another good Bourbon.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ER comes in a clear straight shouldered wine bottle shaped bottle, with white script lettering. In my area it costs $4 more than BT ($31 compared to $27 for BT), which is still ridiculously cheap for such good bourbon IMO.

this is too bad. i always looked forward to reading his posts. he'll be missed. i hope his family is doing well

Comment

I would love to join in the toast but I will be sitting behind a steering wheel of an eighteen wheeler. I will toot the air horn though and have a late toast when I get home.

Comment

Will definitely join in with a shot of bourbon, he was a lot of help here in the pit

Comment

To Steve Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	322978

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here