Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Departing Letter to a Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know him nearly as well, but your words strike a note deep in me. Recently lost loved one's and friends.... thank you. So well said.

Edit - I had not read the can o' corn saga. OMG, that is gold. Thank you so much for including it.
    Last edited by Caffeine88; February 28, 2022, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Sir, you have a way with words that not many have. A very touching tribute to another gentleman that blessed us all with his stories, his humor, and his love for all. Thank you and God bless you. We are all better people to have been able to share time here.

Comment

Didn't know him { newbie} but he sounds like someone that I would miss. Thanks

Comment

I’m fairly new, so I didn’t know mr bones as well as others, but I did always enjoy his posts and comments. I wasn't around for the canned corn story, thanks so much for linking it. I've several small kids of my own, and 'can' very much relate. Though I, like so many at AR, couldn't articulate the story as well as Bones. Thanks so much for that gift.

Funny, but I had a similar conversation with my grandmother several years before she died. Reading this reminded me of her. Thank you for that as well.

Comment

I can add nothing to what others have said. Thank you.

Comment

Sitting here and reflecting over your open letter Troutman and enjoying a coffee..
              Thanks for sharing Steve!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20220301_081658-01.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1182472

Comment

Lovely tribute and words to Mr. Bones. Although I haven’t been in here a ton, I feel your sentiments in your letter just the same. During the Secret Santa thing, I had posted that I missed it again and a couple days later I came on here to find a message from Bones asking for my address for Secret Santa. I appreciated someone reaching out and insisted he didn’t need to send me anything and I’d just participate next year. But it was the gesture of kindness that he asked that made me feel really part of the group. He is a person that would have been awesome to meet in person.

People we meet online like this become very much my virtual family. Many times over the years I have shed tears over lost internet friends and pets. And have also made lifelong friends as well.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He truly had a heart of gold. Thanks for sharing that.

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh wow! That’s amazing!

Terrific commentary Steve, and as you are often able, you've captured the sentiments shared by others here who admire how articulate you are. Bonesy had a wide range of interests, two of which he and I would banter back and forth about. Vintage military aircraft and hot rods. He surprised me a couple months ago by starting a thread, and giving me a public nod, about hot rods. As for vintage aircraft, and to give a nod to his wry sense of humor, I'll offer this picture as a form of celebrating his life among us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	luftwaffle.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1182602

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL

Thank you for sharing this, Steve. Very well done.

Comment

Uncle Bob Love the Luftwaffle meme. Bones and I would share military aircraft ditties all the time. Here's one I was actually going to send him about a survivor German ME-262, the world's first jet fighter plane. Had Hitler been able to mass produce these earlier in the war he may have ruled the skies. Bones would certainly have approved !!!

Comment

• DaveD
                    DaveD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Please tell me that it's the ditty of which Bones would have approved, and not Hitler ruling the skies...! As written, that's the literal meaning...

Troutman Steve that is so well written, and certainly thought provoking. You have a way with words for sure, my friend.

Also - thank you for reminding me of the Corn Daddy story! That one is a keeper, and I had forgotten about it! Put a smile on my face reading all that again.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Well done, and thanks. I'll never be able to look at a Weber kettle the same.

Comment

It doesn't seem to get easier, this becoming accustomed to Mr. Bones being gone from us. I still keep looking for a whimsical post from him to pop up on the Recent Posts page. I sure do miss him.

Thanks for putting some of our feelings into words, Steve.

Kathryn

Comment

Wonderful tribute to Mr. Bones....his legacy will indeed live on here at AR!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here