Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from AL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from AL

Hey ya'll. Been cooking on a Weber SM 22" for awhile and served up some pretty good ribs, butt's and spatchcocked Turkey. This past weekend I attempted my first Brisket which was 14.4 lbs before trimming....OMG what a fail and now I'm extremely frustrated but can't quit. I'm on a mission. Sometimes its an absolute fight controlling temps especially with the wind. I also use a ThermoWorks "Smoke" and Thermapen MK4. Awhile back I saw a video presentation from Swine Life BBQ showcasing the "Outlaw Offset" and thought that's a really sweet stick burner! More recently I have discovered the Lang reverse flows and now thinking for me that's the ticket because I am passionate about what I serve. Not sure where all this is going but I'm sure it will be a journey. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. We all have an occasional fail but they get fewer as we learn. Here is one post about briskets you might want to look at. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...brisket-method Next time will be much better!

Comment

• Smokn
        Smokn commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I now have a brisket recipe from Meathead that I'll be working with.

Welcome to the Pit form the California Delta.
      I'm sorry but you just made a BIG mistake.......you asked a whole bunch of enablers what you should do. BE afraid.

Comment

• Smokn
        Smokn commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL. I'm sure you're right. I have a Montana 5th wheel and from that forum's advice, several years and many dollars later mastered the science of living in it. Thanks.

Welcome to The Pit. I suggest gettin' a SlowNSear. It will make temp control much easier, and if you add some upgrades to your Smoke, you can keep temps almost rock solid.

Comment

• Smokn
        Smokn commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll look into that. I did replace the flimsy OEM door not long after i got it with a stainless steel door w/spring loaded latch from Cajun Bandit....helped a bunch to seal up. I also have a Tel-Tru BQ300 thermometer to swap out the OEM dome unit soon to help monitor temps. Thanks.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        He has the Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker. The SnS won’t work with that. RonB

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        @Pnahead John - my bad...

Howdy from south Texas!

Comment

• Smokn
        Smokn commented
        Editing a comment
        Howdy back!

Welcome from Illinois! What happened exactly? You mentioned temperature control but what happened to the brisket to make it a fail? I've done quite a few, but on a Masterbuilt propane smoker

Comment

• Smokn
        Smokn commented
        Editing a comment
        Well since then I have learned many things I did or did not do were my fault but I will learn. I was trying to run steady @ 275 but that was a challenge due to temp swings which isn't uncommon and I don't think I cooked any where near long enough. Thanks.

Welcome from north Texas. Keep trying. Brisket is tough to do, each one different, and you might do a great one, then a bust. You certainly don’t need a stick burner to cook a great brisket. Now, that has NOTHING to do with what you want, of course. Have fun on the Pit.

Comment

• Smokn
        Smokn commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello. Yep but after working in Tomball/Houston for three years awhile back sometimes I crave some of that Texas brisket. Thanks.

• Soonerpop
        Soonerpop commented
        Editing a comment
        Used to live just outside Tomball in Spring.

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome aboard from Virginia Beach.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

• Smokn
            Smokn commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks MB. Recently bought some hickory and apple smoking wood splits from up there @ Fruita Wood BBQ and Supply right around Grand Mesa...huge difference from box store bagged stuff!

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, TX!

Comment

• Smokn
            Smokn commented
            Editing a comment
            I sure do miss TxDOT and H.E.B.! Good stuff there.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Smokn I lived in the Houston area with H.E.B. for a number of years, but unfortunately no H.E.B. In Dallas yet.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Glad to have yer 'Bama arse here, I'm sure we will all prosper from such an arrangement...

If I may point out, if'n yer havin Big Troubles managin th temps on a 22.5" WSM, a stickburner is flat out gonna drive ya plumb forkin DogShip CRAZY...

I ain't sayin don't gitcher self one, in fact I recommend Several, like I has... Hail, I'd LOVE to have me a Lang, but am waitin until Retirement, here in a minute, or two...

But Fire Management becomes even more Critical, when yer burnin some sticks, I reckon I'll allow...

IMHO, git th Lang, learn it, an make Great Foods...NEVER be afraid to ask questions, here; lotsa Smart, Intelligent, Experienced Folks'll readily, willingly help ya out/through whatever ya gots goin on...! (I ain't neither, but they lemme hang out, some, conditionally... )

I done asked up alla th Stoopid Questions, afore ya even got here, so fire away, amigo!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 10, 2021, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            "I done asked up alla th Stoopid Questions, afore ya even got here, so fire away, amigo!"
            You think you had dibs on all the stupid questions? Uh hi Mr. Bones Remember me?

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John
            Yup.

I remember ya.

Sigh! lol

• Smokn
            Smokn commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL thanks there Mr. Bones. Yes I've heard stick burners can be quite the challenge coming from other techniques but I'm a bit intrigued about stokin a firebox. I really want to get further into the fire and temp management aspect of it so I may be firing those questions out there in the near future....6 Gkids demand Pawpaws grilling and smokn.

Welcome from South Carolina!

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here