Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Brisket

A few weeks ago I told my wife I would smoke a brisket on June 14th for flag day. She was excited that I would be home for the whole day with no work to interfere.
    She offered to go to the butcher and get the brisket(or two, for leftovers)
    About a week before, she said we would have a few friends over .... but only 8, total.
    Suddenly on Friday, she announced that there were 30 people coming and we needed chicken, and pulled pork too!
    But after a few years on this site, I was pretty confident about those. I had those down because I have followed your recipes each time.
    But the Brisket was only on my second time around.
    AND, when I pulled the brisket out of the fridge, I realized that it was a HOF! Looking at the Full text of the Texas Brisket, it said, The HOF will come out tough and dry if not done by an expert. And I was NO expert! And I had 35 people coming by Saturday! And five of them were from Texas! And brisket is a religion in Texas!
    So I followed the injection ideas..... Put the rub on the night before...... Used the aluminum foil and beef broth trick to get the brisket through the stall....... was careful with the temp. and 12 hours later, I was pulling the meat off the grille.

After the briskets had rested for about 15 minutes, I put them on the cutting board for slicing............ And suddenly there were Texans at the counter!
    Visions of the "Christmas Vacation" turkey flashed in my head. I was sweating!
    I carefully sliced off the first cut.... and then (it happened so fast, I didn't even see her hand) the piece was gone! And into her mouth. Her face showed a rather serious look as she chewed that test piece.
    It seemed like a Looooong time before she finally spoke and said....."I've just been transported back to my college years in Texas. It's as good as anything I've ever had there!!!"

Thank you for the great help! However I do have a complaint. And it is all your fault.
    NOT A SINGLE SPECK OF LEFTOVER BRISKET... NOT ONE!

Hmmm... Don't you love it when a good cook is completely devoured by appreciative guests! The best compliment a Pit Master can have is to sit quietly listing to his guest's comment to each other about how great the food is.

It appears they devoured your food before you could get pictures.

Comment

Good Job!

And Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

What a great post, carman . An excellent success story, and it's just the beginning of many brisket cooks in the future, I'll bet!

Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

Congrats and Welcome!

Comment

Dude!!!!!! Way to go.

But, where are the pictures?

Comment

you have just created a monster.......LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by carman View Post
                NOT A SINGLE SPECK OF LEFTOVER BRISKET... NOT ONE!
                As it should be! next time, don't give advance notice of the cook!

Comment

so i've been wondering now and too embarrassed to ask: What is the difference between the brisket on this site's recipe section and a texas brisket?

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
                    so i've been wondering now and too embarrassed to ask: What is the difference between the brisket on this site's recipe section and a texas brisket?
                    Are you referring to: "Recipe: Texas Beef Brisket." ?

No worries, I do it all the time too!

Comment

That is a great story, not just for what transpired but for the manner in which you narrated it. I look forward to future success stories from you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here