Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet smokers and sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet smokers and sausage

I'm am relatively new to the site. I have accessed it from time to time for recipes.

I have been using an electric vertical smoker for years.
    I realize that an electric smoker is probably the least desirable type of smoker but to be honest, I am lazy and prefer the "set and forget" method.
    After reading on this site, I see that there are pellet smokers that also feature "set and forget" mechanisms.
    All the models I see are horizontal in design.

Question: How would I do sausage, that would normally hang in my vertical smoker, in a pellet smoker?
    (without constructing some home made metal rack).

Also, is there an "automatic" vertical pellet smoker that maybe I have not come across?

Thank you

Vertical Pellet Smokers exist. We're reviewing one made by Pit Boss now.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be interested in that. Will I be able to hang sausages from rods and not just lay them on the shelves they show in the one's I have seen. The 77700 and the smaller one.

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      mountainsmoker You can hang them from the top rack.

• tpf903
      tpf903 commented
      Editing a comment
      Are there any vertical pellet smokers reviews already completed or it this the first you guys have ever done?
      If not, speed up the review (haha). I'm chomping at the bit for a new smoker. Thanks
      Last edited by tpf903; June 4, 2020, 06:11 AM.

We just laid ours on the grates and they did fine. I do prefer to hang and finally got a vertical smoker for that.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 The only "downside" to laying on the grates (upper and main is fine) is less capacity than most verticals will have using hanging racks. Well, that's a guess because I don't have a hanging one. The MAK can take quite a few laid out on the grates.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      GolfGeezer I have 4 racks in my pellet and actually held more.

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      @JerodBroussard The MAK has an add-on smoker box designed for hanging and cold smoking, well beyond my needs. Plenty of options for non-vertical pellet smokers that meet the need - or look at ones like the Pit Boss that Max is testing.
      Last edited by GolfGeezer; June 1, 2020, 03:10 PM.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Although I do not have an Electric, or Pellet smoker, that fact does not minimalize, or negate what ya got goin on, there.

I'm certain that experienced folks, what're Way Smarter than me, will be along to offer their experiences, an advice.

Jus wanted to say Howdy, ad Good Luck, Amigo.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ficksed my tipoe ,sry...

In theory, you could small capacity hang sausages in the OG grilla, from the top half grate, with the bottom grate removed. But capacity would be limited. If you want vertical, there are probably better options.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta by the way. Charcoal and/or wood vertical smokers can be fairly close to set and forget just put a controller and fan on them. The Masterbuilt 560 Gravity fed smoker is a very new and popular choice and it has the controller built in I think and very reasonable priced.

Their are quite a few manufacturers out there. I'm more of a buy "once cry once" guy and have a Lone Star Grills Insulated Cabinet cooker https://lonestargrillz.com/ There is also Pitmaker http://pitmaker.com/ T&K Smokers https://www.tkbbqsmokers.com/ Backwoods Smokers https://www.backwoods-smoker.com/

There are more choices for less $$$ and I'm sure others will point you in the direct that works for you

Comment

• tpf903
        tpf903 commented
        Editing a comment
        Although they look great, they are way out of my price range for my occassional backyard smoking advetures, but thanks

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help.

Comment

I lay them flat on my Traeger and they come out fine. Hadn’t thought about doing them vertically. Does it make a big difference?

Comment

Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

I'm of no value to your question. My value is, Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. This is an interesting post. I've been trying different cookers (BGE & PBC) and techniques (hanging & on the grates) for smoking sausage. My pellet cooker is next on the list real soon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here