Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which lump charcoal to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Virginia! I have had good luck with B&B lump and with their briquettes as well.

Comment

I’ve used Cowboy, probably no more. Royal Oak is Ok & price is right. Love the Jealous Devil, A-1.
      BTW welcome!

Comment

So far I’ve bought only FOGO and I love it!

Make a great tasting chicken.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I'm a KBB fan so no lump from me.

Comment

I've used Big Green Egg brand for many years, but recently changed to Jealous Devil available from Amazon. I liked it much better. It was easier to light, got to a higher temperature and seemed to last longer. And there were never any flying sparks.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
              Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Cain't help ya too much, here, on accounta ain't never burned total mebbe 2 bags of lump in my life. Sorry

They's much smarter, an more experienced folks that'll help ya out, shortly.

Comment

That's like being asked "Which of my daughters do you think is the prettiest?" But since you asked, and to help you answer, FOGO or Rockwood.

Comment

I have used Cowboy which I did not like. The pieces were inconsistent with many pieces being not much bigger than briquettes. Currently I use Royal Oak and like it. Consistent pieces that burn hot and seem to last. After reading the posts I will most likely gibe B & B a try.

Comment

I also endorse Jealous Devil. For a long low-and-slow cook, it burns really cleanly and holds a low temperature forever. I was very impressed by it. Will be my go-to charcoal going forward.

Comment

I would recommend B&B and avoid Cowboy and Royal Oak. But the best answer is what is easily available at a reasonable price and you know how it burns as another poster said.

Comment

I used FOGO once and it was the only lump that had a problem jumping in temp. On the BGE, I always was able to use lump and never had to check temp, with the FOGO once it jumped a hundred degrees in the middle of the cook. Just my one experience.

Comment

I've just started using FOGO after being a KBB only dude for some time. Still on the learning curve, but man - that stuff burns clean and hot. It may be expensive, but it's captured my fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobmcgahan View Post
                            I also endorse Jealous Devil. For a long low-and-slow cook, it burns really cleanly and holds a low temperature forever. I was very impressed by it. Will be my go-to charcoal going forward.
                            Jealous Devil is pricey, but man it burns super clean. Hardly any ash at all leftover. For most cooks I’m fine with KBB, though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here