Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings and Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings and Introduction

Hi,
    My name is CJon. That is a first initial and middle name all jammed up together. I live in NW Missouri, about 90 miles north of Kansas City, so I get to enjoy good commercial BBQ fairly often. For a change, I go visit my son and daughter-in-law in Austin, just for the change from pork to beef. (Obviously, my grandkids don't have anything to do with it.) Other son lives in KC so we eat pork together.

I've been cooking over an outdoor fire since I was a kid. Currently, I grill on a Smokey Joe for my wife and me, have a 22" Weber Kettle for when company comes and I have a 18" Smokey Mountain Cooker that I got my wife last mother's day that I am still learning on. I got the Texas kids a Genesis gas grill as a house warming present, and have tried it 3 times now. My only experience with gas. We'll see.

Anyway, I've been coming here for quite a while now, so I figured it was time to give back a little. Meathead and the entire crew are truly Amazing.

CJon

Great to have ya Cjon!!

Thanks for the support and make yourself at home.

I have only cooked on a gas grill once (that used gas). I once cooked on a gas grill with charcoal.

I use gas to smoke sausage in my cheap offset, other than that, charcoal and a little wood.

Comment

Welcome, I am heading up to all of the Chiefs games again this year and always try out the local places, you'll have to let me know your favorites. Joe's is my primary stop.

Comment

Welcome CJ.

I love that you routinely use the Smokey Joe. That little thing can cook.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
          Welcome CJ.

I love that you routinely use the Smokey Joe. That little thing can cook.
          Well, usually, there is just me and my dearly beloved, so the Joe is just about perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Welcome, I am heading up to all of the Chiefs games again this year and always try out the local places, you'll have to let me know your favorites. Joe's is my primary stop.
            Joe's has become my standard. They recently changed the name from Oklahoma Joe's to Joe's Famous Kansas City. apparently got tired of paying royalties for the name.
            Anyway, Smokin' Guns north of the river, The Woodyard and RJ's Bob-E-Que, all profiled on the Triple D Kansas City BBQ tour, are worth a visit. I didn't try Woodyard's ribs (profiled on the show), but the wings are to die for.
            Obviously, Gates and Bryants are Kansas City Classics. Sadly, the Gates nearest Arrowhead burned down. They are rebuilding, but until they finish, it is burnt ends only at that location. LC's west of I-435 at the 66 exit is worth a visit, and Rosedales in the west bottoms is a classic.

Comment

Sad t report that, after 10 years or so, one of the leg supoprts on my 22" kettle rusted through and is about to collapse. Since the kids moved out, it has mostly served as a stand for the Smokey Joe, and I can convert the SMC to an 18" grill for company, I think I will salvage the grills and send the rest down the road. Hitting the junk shops tomorrow for a replacement table to support Joe.

Comment

Welcome cjonsmoke ! Glad to have you here. Sounds like a nice lineup there. I too used to use a Smokey Joe quite a bit. Great little grills and so efficient. Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here