Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Eastern Long Island, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Eastern Long Island, NY

My journey into BBQ started in May 2018. As part of renewal of my boat captain's license I needed a physical. My doctor said my cholesterol was a little high he wanted me to take a Crestor. I started on the Tuesday before Memorial Day weekend. We spend all three days of Memorial weekend on the boat going fishing. By Sunday afternoon I had pain in both legs and shoulders and upper arms. Crestor in some people will dissolves your muscles. Then the dissolved muscle gets into your blood stream and causes kidney and liver damage. To stop the damage I drank water continuously. During this time I had balance and mind problems besides the pain. This went on from Memorial Day weekend to the middle of September. So fishing and boating season was done. I own a business, I came close to firing myself a few times for not getting anything done. Weekends I got in front of the TV trying not to move. I channel surfed till I found the Pitmaster Shows. On weekends they ran marathons of them. The cooking part I found interesting. By mid October the Admiral (who also has her boat captain's license) had enough of Pitmaster shows.

So it was time for discussion. The Admiral and I decided to get an entry level smoker. If it didn't work out we were not in for a lot of money.

I got an Oklahoma Joe's Reverse Flow Smoker. It got here the beginning of December. Mods: I put a thermometer at rack level under the thermometer higher in the cover that comes with it. The upper thermometer is 30 to 50 degrees higher than the lower one. In March I bought a ThermPro TP-20. I wish somebody would have told me about this when I bought the smoker.

Since last December I have done 14 cooks. The Admiral and I have not looked at each other and got up and fired any into the garbage yet. Yes, the first few cooks were over cooked. I have smoked pork ribs, pork but, brisket, and tuna bellies.

I have learned with each cook but have far more to learn. I am glad I found this site.

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from south Texas! We’re glad you’re here to share the journey with us.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Thank goodness for Crestor. Kidding aside, hope you are doing ok. We’re glad to have you aboard (half pun intended), eat food & have fun!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC.

Comment

Welcome from Oregon!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the Pit
                    Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome. My regular doc, who was a bit of a cuckoo, told me to stop statins. My cardiologist tells me to continue to take them. Since I had a mini-stroke I have had all sorts of issues related to muscle weakness under stress. I thought it was BP meds. I lost 60 lbs and still need BP meds when I was normal BMI! I cant walk a mile without my foot dragging. I’m wondering if its the statin now?

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! I am hoping your new hobby is giving you some new energy and your cholesterol is under control.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here