Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Guyana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Guyana

OK, here is the scenario. I'm a Central Texas Smoker moving to another country - Guyana to be specific. I'm taking my PBC but can't take my offset (too heavy). So here is the deal. The pork is OK in Guyana and I'll bring in the brisket from Texas. Contracting a guy to build be an offset but where do I start? Guyana has many hardwoods from which to choose. Sooooo - how do you start from scratch when Post Oak, Hickory, Fruit woods, etc. are not available? Any thoughts appreciated.

Welcome! Thanks for joining up, hope you enjoy your trial and choose to stick around.

First off, I'd use the Internet to dig around on good cooking woods in the area. There may just as many local favorites there as there are here in the states.

Next, do tests. Hard to tell wood types/flavors on a PBC, but I like to use 2 kettles when I am testing new woods. I make cheap chicken legs or thighs (the $.99/lb kind) and season with only salt. Cook half on one kettle with the new "test" chunk of wood, half on the other with an old favorite type of wood. Then do a side by side taste test. I have learned a lot doing this kinda thing. Using only salt helps the smoke flavor stand out more.

Comment

• Geocarps
      Geocarps commented
      Editing a comment
      That is really helpful. Crazy that I'm a scientist for a living and didn't think of a double blind test. Thinking I'm going to have start with charcoal on one and wood on the other since I don't (won't) have a favorite to start with. Thanks.

Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta. That should be quite the adventure. Please keep us updated. Both on the move and the cooker part.

Comment

• Geocarps
      Geocarps commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do

One of our members, Ahumadora, is down in Argentina, which I realize is a ways from Guyana. He may have some suggestions for you from a SA perspective.

Comment

• Geocarps
      Geocarps commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip

Tons of different woods you can use. Many fruitwoods in Guayana I am sure that will work fine.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Geocarps For what it's worth I've done a couple briskets on only apple wood, and it turned out incredible, as you'd expect a good brisket to turn out! Please keep an open mind, you don't necessarily need the stereotypical brisket woods to turn out a good brisket.

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve got to add a +1 to what Huskee said. I am in Houston and frequently add fruit wood (Apple, Cherry, and or Pecan) to my brisket cooks. Typically the response is, "this is the best brisket I’ve ever had!!!" It can turn out an absolutely amazing product!!!! Also, it is a fun brain teaser for people trying it when they are trying to figure out what is different from what they are expecting to taste. Best of luck and cheers!

• Geocarps
      Geocarps commented
      Editing a comment
      You guys are right, shouldn't box myself into not using fruitwoods. Just need to give it a try

Welcome from Western Massachusetts. Good luck on your move.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you.

take me with you.

Comment

• Geocarps
        Geocarps commented
        Editing a comment

Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Here is a wood toxicity database that might help you figure out what woods to stay away from:

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...-and-toxicity/

Please note that according to the above link, almost every wood can cause problems, and there is no reference to using them for their smoke...
        Last edited by RonB; July 2, 2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Alan Brice
          Alan Brice commented
          Editing a comment
          Quite amazing! I see all of the walnuts have the “HPC” designation. I have always heard walnut was more toxic than others. Thanks.
          Where else would you get this kind of info?

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          For some reason, I can't tag Alan Brice ... (Well, it's working now.)

I don't know of a better source.

BTW walnut is allelopathic. It inhibits the growth of other plants near it.

Welcome from south Texas! Anxious to learn how you adapt for bbq down there. Keep us posted.

Comment

• Geocarps
          Geocarps commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do

Welcome to The Pit and good luck on your new adventure.

Comment

I assume you’re moving to Georgetown, and you will definitely be the odd man out with the PBC, let alone cookin Q, although they will have their own take on open fire cookin. It’ll be mostly testing what is available. Interesting place Guyana is. It has a very Indian influence, as in India.

Comment

• Geocarps
            Geocarps commented
            Editing a comment
            All you said is true. They have BBQ places everywhere but they are all really just grills, no smoke. Just lots of testing in my future. Probably just test on cheap meat until I dial in on the wood.

Welcome to the pit. No wood advice but good luck on your journey.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from the Okanogan Valley of Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun.

If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like.

For jokes, go to this thread.

Go to this thread to post where you work and what your hobbies are and get to know other members here.

We are happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

Comment

Wow. Moving for work? or pleasure? or hiding from the Man? Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• Geocarps
                Geocarps commented
                Editing a comment
                Moving for work, that is where they are going to send my paycheck
                Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here