Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourcing babybacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourcing babybacks

I requested assistance with sourcing quality babyback ribs. You all were very helpful. After research, i bought from Compart Family Farms in Minn. They produce competition Duroc ribs. the cost with shipping and tax came to $23.37 per rack. I called them first, spoke with a rep who gave me all the info i need. i was concerned about shipping. Their shipping process gave me confidence. I also considered Berkshire's from Snake River Farms. i think that I'll order those later this summer.

Let us know how they are. I have gotten SRFSt. Louis ribs many times, interested in how the BB's are.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. Always good to hear of sources where service and shipping goes well.

Comment

I've had the Compart Durocs before, they are killer !!! We get Berkshire locally these days so never tried SRF but think they gotta be good as well (except maybe for the price $$$$).

Comment

i just ordered Bershire Pork from Betterpork.com as was recommended on this sight. Can't wait to see . Got one Butt, 6 St. Louis style racks, and 2 baby backs. Last time I ordered pork was from SRF the kurobuto racks and they tasted good but membrane was impossible to get off . So looking forward to giving this a try.

Comment

23.37 for a rack of baby back ribs is crazy. What are you eating gold plated pork. I can get Berkshire baby backs from my slaughter house, butcher for $6lb. And I can get even better St. Louis ribs for $3.50 which I much prefer, more meat better flavor since they are from the belly not the loin. For comparison the best commodity ones are 3.49 for baby backs and 1.89 for St. Louis cuts. Remember I live in NC one of leader in pork producers with IA.

My lord your in Chicago you have Paulina, and a dozen other butchers within driving distance of you. You are in the butchers heaven of the US. Search the Web or the Yellow Pages and find a local butch and cut your cost in half.at least. I have a friend up there and I'll try to see where he gets his meat.

These guys are in the Chicago area and would save you $8 a pound. https://shop.hasselmannfarm.com/berk...=newest&page=2
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 26, 2019, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• MikesBBQLounge
              MikesBBQLounge commented
              Editing a comment
              I know all the good butchers in my area, bought from them several times over the past 30 years. This time, i wanted to buy from a farm which provided to competition bbq teams. If you're stunned by what i spent on ribs, you'd die if you knew what i spent on watches, cars, vacations, and gifts for my wife. .

Shipping can get pricey. I hope these work well for you. I can’t wait to see pics of that cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here