Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learned a lot in a few days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learned a lot in a few days

Decided to join since I learned a lot just browsing here, and read about half the Meathead book this week. For a couple bucks a month, I cannot afford to not join. My wife got me a portable electric smoker two years ago, and that got me started. I currently have the 13 year old Weber Genesis hooked up to natural gas, and the portable smoker. I am thinking a Komodo next, since I hate cleaning and they seem to have that issue handled. Ribs, Brats, and Pork butt is what I smoke mostly. I am still very new at this, but I am glad that at age 55, I found a hobby that I can enjoy for the rest of my life. Cooking better food than what I get at most restaurants.
    Hi from MN.

As for the name, I like Surly beer and Vikings football, and watching the Vikings usually makes me Surly, so it fits.

Welcome from the Colorado ... and based on your name explanation, I’ll refrain from replying to your posts in what little bad Norwegian I can barely remember.

Comment

Welcome! And enjoy your time here! A great group of people willing to share and help!

Comment

Welcome from Louisiana!

Comment

Welcome from Alabama! Glad to have you onboard.

I have two Genesis gas grills at the moment, and those suckers last forever if you maintain them and replace a part every now and then. I think a kamado will be a great addition to your arsenal. Not sure they are exactly "cleaning free" however! They tend to produce less ash as they are very fuel efficient, and most people burn only lump charcoal, which also reduces ash. You will still need to empty/clean out the ash after a cook, and scrub down the grates now and then.

I do most of my smoking on a Weber kettle with a Slow 'N Sear accessory these days, even though I have an offset smoker that I've had for 25 years (it's about 35 years old). The Weber just uses so much less fuel, and with Weber's ash sweep and collection mechanism, cleanup of ash is a simple matter of working a lever back and forth a few times, then removing and dumping a bucket of ash into the trash can.

A lot of folk on here swear by the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) as a cost effective and easy to use smoker. Where you are, up in the great white north basically, at least compared to Alabama, a kamado makes a LOT of sense, as once it comes to temperature, the ceramic really holds the heat, and you will be well served if you want to cook during the winter months.

Comment

Greetings and welcome.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
              Glad yer here, now, to learn along with me!

Comment

Welcome from Spokane Valley, Wa.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit
                  Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome from Pensacola FL.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I cook on a Big Green Egg, but as jfmorris points out there will still be clean up. It is pretty easy to rake the ash out between cooks, but from time to time and especially before 12 hour cooks you will need to disassemble the parts and give it a complete cleaning. Many folks do so before each cook.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here