Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Ontario, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Ontario, Canada

Hello All - I just joined up after making what I am calling American-Canadian bacon using Meathead's curing recipe. You see, I think only Americans call Canadian Bacon, Canadian Bacon. Here in Canada we consume peameal bacon (as mentioned in "All the different types of bacon explained" page), but I have seldom seen anyone here eating bacon made from smoked pork loin a la "Canadian Bacon".

The curing instructions and the cure calculator are awesome and by far the most comprehensive and logical that I have encountered anywhere on the web. I've been making peameal bacon for some time but now have a lot more confidence in the concentrations of cure that I am using.
    My latest batch was about 11 lbs of meat and I split it between the smoked AM-CAN bacon recipe (applewood smoke and maple syrup glazed - what else would you use?) and traditional peameal bacon. After coming out of the cure, the peameal bacon sits in the fridge overnight to acquire a slightly sticky surface and then is rolled in cornmeal. I understand the risks of not hot-smoking or cooking this, but am very careful with temperatures during the cure and we are sure to thoroughly cook it before eating. See the pics attached. Love the site...
    Attached Files

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Tx, USA

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Food looks great.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... and regardless of what it's called, that's some great looking bacon ...

Comment

What relation to "back bacon"? Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

• robertdfarrell99
              robertdfarrell99 commented
              Editing a comment
              I would say back bacon is a "class" of bacon that includes both Canadian and Peameal varieties. I read somewhere that back bacon is so-called because it comes from the loin of the hog, along the animal's back. I think that the use of these terms are interchangeable and different by region too. Whatever you call it, its some good eating!

Welcome from Winnipeg ! Sure looks good .

Comment

Welcome to the PIT from the LOU! I'm admiring the nice high walls on that deep-dish skillet.

The start of the Canadian Border Wall...

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                  Thanks fer sharin, an yer bacon looks tasty!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from SW Ontario. This is a great place to learn how to up your game.

Comment

Another welcome from Winnipeg. That bacon looks great.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!!

Comment

Welcome from Louisiana!

Comment

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club, thanks for joining!

Comment

• Troutman
                              Troutman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Emeritus standing....fancy !!

• Henrik
                              Henrik commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That’s how I roll, baby ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here