Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduce myself

Hey, recently new member here just getting around to posting. Love this awesome site and have already learned a ton. Smoking first Boston butt tomorrow morning, using Meathead's Memphis Dust and can't wait! So, it's sure to be on this site somewhere but I haven't found it: fat side up, down, or doesn't matter?

Neither! Trim that fat cap to the extent reasonably possible, there's enough internal fat in a pork butt (shoulder). Fat caps eliminate smoke & seasoning & bark. Oh, and welcome to The Pit! Glad to have you!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Ok thanks. I did read that about not wanting excess fat as you stated and trimmed the cap down to as close to 1/8 inch as I could. I probably left more on than I should and can get it down further so I'll do that in the morning first thing. Thanks for the prompt reply! I'll post some pics.

Comment

You're welcome. We usually leave a thin fat cap on brisket, but on pork butt it's just not necessary and actually gets in the way. The reason is pork butts are usually made for pulled pork, and the fat cap will just be wads of fat that you'll pull out and toss, whereas on a brisket, which is sliced, that thin edge of fat ont he slices adds a bit of flavor and protects the meat from drying too much while cooking. With a pork butt that's more cubical we want all edges getting the smoke and heat.

Lookign forward to the pics! For the time being the best way to post pics from a computer is by using the clipboard (attachment) icon, and after uploading clicking either the large of fullsize option. That way we can see all that glorious detail!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          Neither! Trim that fat cap to the extent reasonably possible,
          And if it's thick enough, season it up and grill it and eat it Just don't tell your doctor

Comment

Ha! I do plan on saving to use for cooking with 😛

Comment

Hello there LBF. Welcome

Comment

Sorry, took me a while to recover from a 14-hour smoke .....But let me just say, it was worth it! Wound up having these ribs for dinner and an 11:00 p.m. "snack" of pulled pork. Well, I can work on timing, but happy with my first try at pulled pork, as was the fam. I was shooting for 8 hours for this 5.3# butt, but since I successfully kept the temp close to 225 on average, I guess that was a bit optimistic. Also, about 8 hours in I had to contend with a 15-20 degree drop in outside temp due to a fast-moving cold front with gusty winds, which I'm sure added time. At 10:00 pm I removed from grill at 196. Would've tried for 203 if it hadn't been so late.

Fantastic results with the Memphis Dust, unmodified. Couldn't find Rosemary Powder, only dried/crushed leaves. Bought fresh instead, dried in microwave then rubbed through a strainer to make my own powder.

The ribs:Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	63759

In all the excitement I failed to snap a pic of the finished roast before pulling, but here's a specimen of the pulled pork.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	63760

This is about 5 hours in for the Boston butt, just put the baby backs on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	63761

Comment

Looks great and thanks for joining The Pit.

Comment

Those look fantastic! And on my favorite device, the weber Kettle!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit

Comment

Welcome LBF! We're glad you're here. That's a nice rack of ribs.

Comment

LBF, I hope you realize that Pit Boss just complimented your rack.

Comment

LSUBBQFan Very nice cook for a introduction post!!! Welcome to the pit. Try to hold out till just north of 200 F next time....you won't regret it. I know sometimes those last 10 degrees seem to take forever. Thanks for you support and we look forward to seeing more from you in the near future.
                            KEEP CALM SMOKE ON!!

-John

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here