Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son just bought me a subscription for my birthday. I bought a Bradley smoker a year ago and just love using it. I've used it about 2 dozen times and have had huge success with briskets, pulled pork and ribs. Can't wait to learn more from other members.
    Jerry

Welcome Jerry, you will like it here. Thanks for your support.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Hello Jerry and welcome. I've had my Bradley for 5 years and have used it extensively. It's a great device.

Comment

Welcome aboard

Comment

Welcome Jerry! We're glad you're here.

Comment

They there JP. Welcome

Comment

Welcome to The Pit, JerryP! What a good guy your son is!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Thanks all, for the welcome wishes.

Do any of you have any suggestions or experience smoking a venison hind quarter? What smoker temp and meat temp? What kind of wood for smoke? Should I use any rub or sauce? Any suggestions would be appreciated - if it's a good one.

Comment

Jerryp
                    ​
                    I've never done version in my cookers but one of our moderators, Huskee , has some advice from another thread.

"I can say this, treat venison like beef, not pork. So, a good wood for beef IMO is oak, pecan, or apple. Smoke it indirectly, but keep the smoke subtle, beef & venison do better (IMO) with subtle smoke, as opposed to pork which can take all you can throw at it since it's inherently more neutral flavored. If you want a medium rare & juicy venison quarter, shoot for an IT of 135. If you want pulled venison, pulled pork style, take it slowly up to 203ish and then hold wrapped in foil for an hour or two, then shred it."

Husky knows his stuff and I would take this advice to the bank.
                    I hope this at least gives you a starting point or an idea of what to do. Welcome to the Pit and thanks for the support!!!

-John

Comment

Thanks for diggin that one up, Spinaker!

JerryP, I recommend Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub. It's peppery, so go lightly if you're not a huge pepper spice fan. Dry brine it first for a couple hrs at least, overnight might be better if it's a thick roast, since this rub intentionally doesn't contain salt. Then as your smoker is heating up you could put a light layer of oil of the meat, or spray it with Pam (that's what I do), then add the BBBR.

Comment

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        With BBBR I've found it's best to go with a coarse grind and NOT use the pre ground pepper they sell at the store.. That way it doesn't end up too peppery.

It's much the same principle as table salt versus kosher salt. 1 tsp of kosher salt is equivalent to 1/2 tsp of table salt.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, good point David Parrish. I use coarse grind pepper (or restaurant grind it is sometimes called in big jugs) in all my rubs when I make them including BBBR. I only use powdered pepper in my Shawsh recipe.

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I use a grinder and set it to to big grounds.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here