Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Utah

I've been a member for a few months now but an avid follower of this site for several years, wish I had joined long before! Originally from Pasadena, CA for about 34 years, but we've been in the Salt Lake Valley about 25 years now and while we grilled a lot in Cali, smoking meat was something I never realized I would fall in love with till we moved to Elk country. Boy has it been a learning curve! Elk meat does not marble so if cooked wrong it turns to shoe leather, my wife refused to cook my first Elk (285 lbs after butchering), so I had to. In the process I learned I LOVE to BBQ and smoke meat and she pretty much doesn't cook anymore (she says I'm now the perfect husband ).

Nobody has taught me more about the art of smoke than Meathead, and the myths dispelled, techniques learned, and recipes I've developed over the years have been invaluable, cooking in this climate where winter sideways snowstorms can really challenge you! I have a 5 burner Charbroil modified with Meathead recommended Grillgrates that have been and absolute game changer in terms of grilling, and my smoker is a heavily modded Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, with deflector plates, oven seals on the lids, seal locks on the smoke chamber, dual digital chamber probes, and getting ready to relocate the chimney to make it a reverse flow. While not exactly a COS, Meathead is right, controlling temps can be a pain, especially in cold snowy conditions. I'm saving my penny's for the one I really want, a Yoder Stockton. I know it's huge but did I mention I hunt and cook Elk?

Anyway, happy I finally joined, happy smoking!

Dan
    Last edited by Danp; November 30, 2018, 12:27 PM.

Great introduction, and WELCOME to the Pit

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Dan! We spent quite a few years in the Salt Lake area (Kaysville) back in the 80's; our son was born in Bountiful and I did my undergrad work at the U. Good times ...

Comment

• Danp
        Danp commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you ever hunt here?

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Danp - No ... but I have plenty of friends (and their "deer widows") who did.

• Danp
        Danp commented
        Editing a comment
        The deer here are good sized Mulies, but the herds have been a little thin in the Uintah basin where I hunt, the Elk population is very healthy, actually a little over-populated, they added some extra tags to cull the herds in fact. I like venison as well as the next guy depending on their diet, but nothing touches Elk for flavor if you cook it right, my last couple came out of alfalfa fields

Welcome, so envy the elk that you have at your fingertips. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome. You've got a smart wife!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Madison, WI

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Southern Illinois.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

"The deer here are good sized Mulies, but the herds have been a little thin in the Uintah basin where I hunt, the Elk population is very healthy, actually a little over-populated, they added some extra tags to cull the herds in fact. I like venison as well as the next guy depending on their diet, but nothing touches Elk for flavor if you cook it right, my last couple came out of alfalfa fields"

Here, the biggest problem we face with Mulies is nose prints on the windows. I had to go out recently and run these two trouble makers off when they got a little too curious about what we were watching on Netflix ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bucks looking in.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	600010

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                      Glad to have ya here among us, lookin forward to more from ya!

Comment

I love it when an intro tells us what you're cookin', and what on! Welcome to the PIT.

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. Looking forward to pictures and techniques for your elk cooks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here