Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stuck in the twilight zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuck in the twilight zone

All i'm trying to find is if there is a recipe or technique SOMEWHERE here for making dried beef, like the kind used in chipped creamed beef. let me assure you, this is NOT a user friendly site for someone asking a question for the first time!

I'm not sure what issues you have had trying to ask this question up until now, but here is something I found with a quick Google search: "I found a recipe in a new cookbook I got from North American Hunter and It basically said you make Corned Beef or Venison or other game meat. ( I posted a good corned beef (Venison) recipe a while back here) Then when the meat is done corning you take out of the brine rinse it and pat it dry and hang it up for 24 hours to air dry. You then cool smoke it with the smoke house temp at 100 to 200 degrees for 70 to 80 hours. You can take in the meat at night to keep it from freezing and just smoke during the days if your in a cold climate." There is Meathead's excellent corned needed recipe in the public site which should get you started.

Comment

• rick dickson
      rick dickson commented
      Editing a comment
      i'm in the process of corning a brisket now that i'm going to attempt to make into pastrami. what i'm after is a method for making dried beef, the kind you chip and mix with a white gravy for cream chipped beef. thanks.

• rick dickson
      rick dickson commented
      Editing a comment
      again, i have a great recipe for corning beef. i'm interested in making dried beef, not corned beef. thanks

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I know. The quote I posted from another site says to make dried beef, you make corned beef and then dry it:

"when the meat is done corning you take out of the brine rinse it and pat it dry and hang it up for 24 hours to air dry. You then cool smoke it with the smoke house temp at 100 to 200 degrees for 70 to 80 hours. You can take in the meat at night to keep it from freezing and just smoke during the days if your in a cold climate."

DEW
      Last edited by Dewesq55; February 3, 2015, 03:11 PM.

Welcome to The Pit Rick! I don't recall anyone posting a recipe yet for chipped beef, but that doesn't mean there isn't one here. Like Dewesq55 alluded to, just shop around here, start by clicking the "The Pit" tab near the upper left, just above the "Today's Posts" tab. This will take you to the main channels. You would be looking for Recipes and Techniques for your question. Under that channel you'll see all the subchannels, such as PORKnography, Beef, Chicken, Desserts, Baking Bread, etc. Find whichever your question or comment falls under (beef, in this instance) and click it. Then you can search through the posts already there, or just post a new topic there by clicking the red "+New Topic" button. Title it whatever you want, such as "Looking for a chipped beef recipe please" or similar. Then explain in greater detail your question in the main comment box like you did here.

The reason for trying to place these questions in the proper place is to allow for better searching in the future. Also, there may be some folks who hang around certain channels more, beef for instance. These people could find your question sooner vs not at all if it's in an inappropriate place. Like trying to find winter boots at WalMart if they're in the canned soup aisle....you get the idea.

We realize for new members this site can be quite expansive, that's why we try to encourage proper channeling of posts to keep it organized from the get go. If you need any further help just shout, any member here would be more than willing to help and the moderators too.

One that note, something to help you along further...please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn a few other necessary things.

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Mr Dickson... You ask, we respond. It's pretty simple I find. Here is a method used by some guy I found on the net. It has pretty good direction with pictures. I hope this helps you. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...son-dried-beef

Comment

Thanks Wartface, i have a couple of eye of rounds that i wanted to use up, i'll give this method a try.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Take pictures... If you don't post pictures, it never happened, some say.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here