Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, new to everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome wrenford! Thank you for your support there, we're very happy to have you. It's an honor for you to trust us to help you arrive at the right cooker choice for what you aim to accomplish. I hope you've found some great help with the above comments as well as any others that may roll in yet....

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. I don’t know anything about jerk chicken, but think some of the earlier posts have already included some great advice.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. I hope you find a cooker that will work for you!

Comment

Thanks everyone for some sound advice. I've told you where I'm going but failed to tell you where I've been.

I been making my own jerk sauce and marinade for sometime now and according to the feedback I've received from people who have tasted my "jerk" meats (baked in an oven), its pretty amazing.

In Jamaica I've tasted jerk (with the same seasoning) cooked on BBQs with metal grills, with and without pimento wood on the charcoal for smoke, baked in ovens but none of them taste anywhere as good as the jerk that is cooked on top of pimento sticks (not even mind ). My conclusion is that cooking on pimento sticks must contribute significantly to the taste.

I live in London, England and I'm on a mission to try and duplicate the taste of Jamaican jerk here in the UK. I have a good supply of pimento sticks, leaves and berries imported from Jamaica.

I've been researching this topic on the web for a while now so I've already seen most of the suggested links but appreciate the that fact that members took the time to research the topic on by behalf.

I think I will start with the kit that jfmorris (club member) suggested unless anyone else has an alternative suggestion? I have an healthy budget for the kit but like the idea of having a combined setup for grilling and smoking.

When BBQing is it best to use a rub or marinade?

Comment

• ClayJones
            ClayJones commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhh... That's a great mission! Good luck on that Wrenford! The Brixton folks don't have some insight on finding those pimento sticks?

wrenford Knowing some of the back story helps a lot! I imagine no matter how good your recipe is, cooking it in an oven is not going to be the same as with a live fire, whether you use the pimento sticks or not. Just something about the smoke and fire from charcoal and wood that makes a difference in how things taste.

A Weber Kettle and a Slow 'N Sear will help you deal with charcoal grilling and smoking. If your sole pursuit is jerk, it seems to me that you are cooking direct, but with a layer of pimento sticks acting as a "heat deflector" between the charcoal heat source and the meat. And it does sound like some flavor components come from the pimento wood as well.

Short of building up a grill like the ones in Jamaica, and covering things with a sheet of metal while they cook, I think I would use the pimento wood, berries and leaves you've sourced, but follow the guidelines in the recipe that Attjack posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...k-chicken.html

They give a good procedure in that recipe using allspice berries and bay leaves, that I think would be the setup to try to start with using pimento sticks in place of the bay leaves. They do use both the direct and indirect sides of the grill in that recipe, so either banking the coals to one side or using the Slow 'N Sear to create a direct and indirect zone would still be a good idea.

You've inspired me to dive into jerk chicken as well, as my daughter and her new husband just got back from their honeymoon at Sandals Royal Caribbean at Montego Bay, and were talking about how good the jerk chicken (and burgers) were.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your results!

Comment

It's all live fire and steel kettles with fast and hot small gauge grates. Know though, that the success of the cook is directly proportional to the quality of the Mamma Juana.

Jerk is atmosphere, vibe, ambiance, libations, and tie-dyed t-shirts. AND, beyond measure of comparisons.

Comment

This is what makes the Pit great. YOU!
              You join up & ask a question & open up a world of all sorts of stuff. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here