Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Roger from Colorado. We retired 18 months ago and are now traveling in our RV to see a baseball game in every MLB park. So far, we have visited 13 parks. Needless to say, we are loving retirement.

Also love BBQ. Current smokers are propane but am seriously considering a barrel cooker. I want better flavor and more control than I can get from a propane smoker but I also need portability. I'm looking forward to learning from all the experience here and narrowing my search. Great to be here

Welcome aboard. Lot's of great info shared from some very knowledgeable people around here. I think you're gonna love it.

Comment

Welcome from a little SE of Denver, Roger ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Madison, WI

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan! Safe travels and eat well!

Comment

Portable, eh? This thing is strictly a smoker (except you can sear very nicely on the firebox). Breaks down into three pieces, and weighs about 75lbs. But you will need wood splits, so I'm not sure how that's going to translate for RV touring. Anyway, check it out for fun! Its products are as good as the review (and threads here) say: https://amazingribs.com/smoker/karub...-60-pit-review

I go through about 10 pretty small (Red Bull can size) splits for a 5 hour cook of spares. Maybe 8 for a 4 hour baby back cook. A lot less for a 2 hour start (light the fire) to finish (pull it out) chicken. Bottom line: depending on your access to wood along the way, you won't be needing to carry too much.
            Last edited by EdF; October 23, 2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Roger.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
                • Check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
                • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Enjoy the ball games!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Congratulations on retirement. Enjoy your travels and keep on smokin.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Another option for the RV would be a pellet grill with a smoke tube to get more smoke flavor. There are several smaller models that are available; we have a traeger scout, but if I had known better I probably would have gone with a green mountain davey crockett.

Comment

• roger80465
                          roger80465 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I do have a smoke tube which I use with my Weber Q. Does a nice job with chicken and fish. Love the portability

Welcome Roger! Grats on retirement! Looking forward to hearing about your travel and BBQ adventures.

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. Congrats on the retirement. Enjoy the travels.

Comment

Enjoy retirement! I think for portability and flavor, the Pit Barrel Cooker, in either the standard 18.5" or smaller 14.5" version would fit the bill and store easily below most RV's. The Weber Smokey Mountain cookers (14", 18" or 22") are also great, but are not a single piece design like the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC as most people call it), making them a little less convenient, unless you NEED to break it down into the 3 parts of the body to fit your storage area on the RV.

While some are recommending a pellet smoker, I think charcoal is how I would go, as it requires no power, and is super simple to use.

Comment

• roger80465
                              roger80465 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              PBC and Barrelhouse cooker are definitely on my radar. Also thinking about a Weber kettle. I have a charcoal grill/smoker at the house that has seen its better days. The kettle would be great for the RV and also replace the tired unit at home. Still thinking about all that.

• jfmorris
                              jfmorris commented
                              Editing a comment
                              roger80465 a Weber kettle is always a good cooker on the go. The Barrelhouse cooker is not one piece like the body of the PBC, which seems messier to deal with for RV storage. Also, they pretty much ripped off the PBC design and brought it to market in violation of the PBC patents. My understanding is that they now pay a royalty to PBC after the lawsuit was settled.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here