Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PeteG says 'Greetings from Arizona'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PeteG says 'Greetings from Arizona'

Just wanted to say hi to all. New member here. In my late 50s and I finally finished the outdoor kitchen I've always wanted. I wanted to break in my new Rec Tec 'Bull' (RT-700) and decided to to pork butt. I've made a few before, but not with this equipment or great advice/recipes.

Got a two-pack of pork shoulders from Costco (oddly they don't carry bone-in, so I had to use a bit of string after some trimming). I dry-brined the butt (which I had never done before with pork) for a few hours with Kosher salt, made a fresh batch of Memphis Dust and started the smoke at 225 degrees at 10:00PM. Used pure cherry pellets from Lumberjack. I put a water pan next to it as it's very dry in AZ. At 7:00AM, the butt was in the stall at exactly 165 degrees. I wrapped it with 1/2 cup of apple juice and raised the smoker temp to 300 degrees (trying a bit of experimentation here). In 45 minutes, temp started to climb again and by 10:00AM, I was at 203 degrees. I pulled it off the smoker and put it in my kitchen oven to rest for 90 minutes.

Only change I would make is I was a bit too stingy with the rub. Should have used about twice what I did to get a deeper bark. That said, it shredded like a dream and was still the best I've ever made. Brisket is next! Thanks again for the great website with amazing insights and Meathead's best selling BBQ book (kindle version). I've learned more in a couple weeks from the book and this website than I knew for the last ten years.

Pete G

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rec Tec Bull.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	537930Click image for larger version  Name:	Outdoor Kitchen.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	537931Click image for larger version  Name:	Pre-smoke.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.89 MB ID:	537932Click image for larger version  Name:	Pre-crutch.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	537933Click image for larger version  Name:	Pulled pork.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	537934

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up! That is one gorgeous cooking area you have there!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
      • To check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
      • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Nice looking outdoor kitchen!!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Pete ...

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Beautiful looking kitchen you have there, and good looking food. This is the right place to learn.

Comment

Great looking kitchen! Welcome!

Comment

Welcome! I am new today also. Glad to see you here!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Pete. Nice lookin' kitchen for sure. Stick around and you can learn as much as you want.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                    Glad to have ya here, to learn along with!

That is one fine lookin outdoor cookin area ya got there, an Great lookin Food, as well!
                    May yer Smoke always be thin, an blue!

Comment

Welcome aboard. Nice kitchen!

Comment

Good lookin Rec-Tec & kitchen. I’d be livin out there. Looks like you hit the ground runnin with your cook. Keep it up. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Nice setup!

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan! Great looking kitchen and first cook on new equipment! Don't be afraid to be imaginative and experiment! You can always improve it next time, and there's always cheap pizza available if it's a total failure.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota! Love the set up! I’m sure some great food will come from it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here