Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from Minnesootah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Minnesootah!

I am originally a Yooper and have always been camp cook whether fish camp or hunt camp and other big gatherings. I did whole hogs really well with blocks and grates for many years, but joined the precision smoke craze in 2012 with my first BGE/XL. I did really well with pork and poultry but my beef was only average. I added an early Stoker PID which increased my quality, consistency, and yield.

I later added a BGE/M mostly for fish. I smoked 30lbs salmon last year and hope for 50lbs this year.

One big focus in 2017 and beyond is smoked wild birds notably pheasants and grouse. I smoke at least 100 pheasants a year and continue to improve my results. My brine is my biggest secret and happy to share.

Since I could only fit 8-10 pheasants on the BGE/XL, I got a new Traeger Pro 34 and it can easily fit 16 pheasants which is a meaningful improvement.

My second focus is pork - notably ribs, shoulders, bacon, and bellies. Since I cannot tolerate powdered onion and powdered garlic very well, I make all my own rubs. I have a few secret ingredients but nothing that anybody here has not tried before.

My last focus is beef, both brisket and short ribs. My briskets have been OK but nothing spectacular. My short ribs are pretty good but definite room for improvement.

This place and its content and community seem like a great place to learn more and am excited to engage.

Thanks!

How up nort in Minneeesewtah are you up der over der. What part of you pee are ya from over der. Yer perty experienced by the likes of what ya said. Lookin forward to the pheasantry of yer cookin. Welcome, eat good & have fun. Spent a little time up in UP, especially the Keewenaw.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep forgetting your from Sconi.

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit with all your experience!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from southern Minnesota! Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome to the pit! I’m curious about your pheasant smoking routine, care to share?

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all payingUSA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Maple Grove!

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan! Was stationed at KI Sawyer from 74-79. Looking forward to seeing your cooks!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the pit!
                  Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois.

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! Great have another Minnesotan in The Pit. Great intro. Thank you for the support.

Comment

You're at the right place! Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here