Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie from the Appalachian foothills of north Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from the Appalachian foothills of north Georgia

Hi folks...I'm a newbie to the site and a newbie to smoking anything besides tobacco. Growing up Dad always had the charcoal grill going, and as an adult, being a true red blooded, testosterone filled American male I always have had a grill...but between a busy life with a bit of lazainess thrown in I've always had a gas grill.

Well, my last grill died, and since retiring my life isn't as busy (though I am still lazy) and the wife nixed another gas grill, wanting charcoal. I started looking around and charcoal grills were either cheap sheet metal garbage or too expensive for someone on Social Security. The same was true of smokers I found. A grand and up is outside of my budget.

And then I saw it. I was in the garden center at my local Walmart (yes, Walmart...hush up) and there, beside the cheapo Char-Broill that would rust out in about three days (IF I kept it covered) was a thing of beauty...An Oklahoma Joe Highland for just a tad over $250.00. It's not quarter inch steel but its not sheet metal either.

I know, I know...Its not a Yoder or a Lang, but you know what else its not? A thousand bucks and up, that's what. I did a few tweaks and its now doing a good job, and even with the tweaks I've still spent under $375.00 (people actually spend $50.00-75.00 on a coal basket and $90.00+ for a tuning plate? Why? I made both for under $25.00 in steel and a couple hours easy work.)

Anyway, I've got it smokin' right along and now here I am, hoping to learn to turn out some Good Eats with it.

***note*** One disappointment with the paid version of the site so far. Meathead, if you are reading this, one of your selling points on the free side to encourage people to join is a promise that this (paid) side is ad free, so I join and what is the first thing I see? A right hand sidebar jammed with ads, with an ad for your book right up at the top. The misrepresentation is disappointing.
    Last edited by BobsBlowdownQ; July 2, 2018, 06:14 AM.

Welcome from Indiana....

Those aren’t ads as much as product recommendations which is what brought a lot of us to this site.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Sounds like you hit home run with that smoker plus mods. Way to go!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all payingUSA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

By the way, that sidebar isn’t ads, it is product recommendations that Meathead et al thoroughly believes in. The heading says it all.

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Well now that we have the add thing out of the way, welcome. You will find that the product examination on this site is pretty intense & thorough. It will help in your future purchases & there will be some. Look up MCS, you now have been bit. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m not touching this post with a 10’ pole

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Bob.

Comment

Welcome!!!

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg.

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina

Comment

Welcome, I grew up in Gainesville, Ga mom and stepdad now live in Dahlonega.

Comment

Oozzy, that makes you a homeboy! I'm in Pickens Co (Jasper), 25 miles from Dahlonega and about 40 miles from Gainesville. How the heck did you wind up in Philly?

Comment

Military, college, and job.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! It is great to have you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here