Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to The Pit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to The Pit!

Hi guys,
    I wanted to drop a quick note to introduce myself. My name is Patrick Morse and I live in Atlanta, Georgia. I have a gorgeous wife of 2+ years and we recently welcomed our first baby boy, Wilder Allen Morse, on May 11th. I grew up in western Illinois outside of St. Louis as an avid outdoorsmen, hunting and fishing with my grandfathers, Dad and brother religiously. Preparing wild game properly is what drove my family into cooking, and my grandfather always had an amazing garden, so pairing our local deer, turkey, ducks, pheasants, etc with whatever he had seasonally in the garden was how we ate growing up. Somehow, we always managed to have a certain flare towards Mexican food and my grandpa's "Mexican" chili is a local legend (ancho and guajillo pepper base with tepins and pequins blended in, no tomatoes!). Over the years, my family has developed a healthy cooking competitive nature, which has pushed all of us to try more and more things. Needless to say, holidays are a little over the top!

Professionally, I have worked in oncology clinical research my entire career, which has moved me all over the country with stops in Boston, Charlottesville, Chicago, San Francisco, Sacramento and now Atlanta. My last two jobs have had an international angle to them, so I have had the opportunity to travel all over the world, enjoying the local culinary scene and stealing ideas to bring home to try out. I have really fallen in love with Argentinian cuisine and 7 Fires by Francis Mallmann has become a go to reference. While I travel, I also use it as an opportunity to hunt and fish internationally, which has led to some incredible experiences, most recently in New Zealand for their waterfowl and pheasant opener.

As far as favorites to cook, I tend to lean more towards red meats and fowl over pork. As noted, I love doing Argentine style bbq, with a favorite being a slow cooked prime rib with chimichurri rub over a live fire and also charring all veggies for salads and sides. While living in California, I discovered a new cut of beef for a Midwestern kid, tri-tip. Cooking a tri tip offset on the grill in the Santa Maria style has become a family favorite and I was stoked to discover a butcher shop here in Atlanta that carries this cut! I'll do a couple of slow roasted whole chickens on my rotisserie each week as it's a simple, inexpensive piece of meat that can be incredibly versatile over the course of the week. I'll use the chicken in everything from enchiladas and white chili to mixing with fruit and nuts for a smoky chicken salad. My wife's absolute favorite is to have me slow roast a whole duck with an Asian inspired glaze on the spit. The crispy skin and moist, smoky meat is quite the crowd pleaser and a great introduction to people that don't think they like duck!

My cooking equipment is quite minimalist actually. Due to my constant moves across the country, I have only kept my trusty Weber 22" kettle and as mentioned, I recently added the rotisserie attachment. My wife and I are setting roots here in Atlanta where we have purchased our first house, so I am frantically planning my outdoor kitchen, so I will look forward to scouring the forums here to figure out the ideal equipment! I will say that pushing the limits on my Weber has probably made me a better cook. As you all know, if you want to cook low and slow on a kettle, it takes A LOT of baby sitting. I cooked my first brisket on it yesterday, inspired by the "Brisket Texas-Style, the Ultimate Technique and Recipe" article on here and it turned out INSANELY well! I had the butcher cut me a 9 pound cut that combined the point and the flat. I was able to maintain 225-235 for 13 hours with some local oak chunks for smoke until it got up to 203 and into the cooler. I used the Texas crutch when it hit 150. I tried the untreated butcher paper method, but the stall still occurred, so I added an extra layer of foil and that was the trick it needed to push it on through. I was exhausted but ecstatic (and slightly amazed) that it worked out!!

Looking forward to meeting everyone on here and learning from you all! Thanks for taking the time to read my intro.

Sincerely,
    Patrick

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	522049 Hunting has led to my passion for cooking. Some unique prizes from around the world that made amazing table fare. Florida alligators, Paradise Shell Ducks in New Zealand and Rio Grande turkeys in Texas Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	522050
    Attached Files

Comment

My other passions include small batch bourbons and good wine! My wife and I tasting on a recent work trip in Switzerland and some favorite bourbons on the bar cart. My wedding ring has an oak inlay from a Pappy's barrel, so kinda into the bourbon thing

Name:	image1 (1).jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	522055

Name:	IMG_1864.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	522056

Comment

And lastly, my recent attempt at brisket. Super pleased with the results and thankful for the tutorial on here!!

Name:	IMG_1910.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	522058Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1911.jpg
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	522059Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1912.jpg
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	522060

Comment

Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Thanks, Rob! Nice to meet you!

Comment

welcome from indiana

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Patrick. It looks like you could teach us a thing or two.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Thanks for sharing your story, great photos! I'm a big fan of bourbon too, I've already spotted some of my favorites in your photos.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys! Looking forward to chatting with you all on here!

Comment

Welcome the Pit. Great intro my friend! I really want to get to New Zealand to get some fly fishing in. I hear they some real super-tankers in those rivers!

Brisket looks great!

Comment

Niche recommendation: try some heritage pork - Berkshire will do. It's pork, the other red meat - the way nature intended. Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit and thanks for sharing the pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                            Welcome the Pit. Great intro my friend! I really want to get to New Zealand to get some fly fishing in. I hear they some real super-tankers in those rivers!

Brisket looks great!
                            Yessir, they do! They have some monster rainbows and German browns. We were hunting morning, noon and night (literally, you can duck hunt by moonlight in New Zealand!) so we didn't get a chance to bust out the fly rods. Probably my only regret about that trip. Oh well, reason to go back with my little boy in a few years!

Comment

• Spinaker
                              Spinaker commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Bummer, but the hunt sounded awesome!

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                            Nice to git to know ya some, great intro!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here