Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Beaverton, Oregon, home of Nike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Beaverton, Oregon, home of Nike

Hi All,

My name is Alex and I live (as the title says) in Beaverton, Oregon, which is about 10 miles west of Portland.

I've been using this site for about a year now. I use Meathead's rub recipe and rib treatment methods religiously.

The reviews on this site helped me pick out my Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Wifi wood pellet smoker, which has been fantastic.

Currently on the hunt for a charcoal grill as it's basically the one major fuel that I don't have (also have a Weber gas grill that's going strong after 10 years in the PDX rain).

Can't decide between the 26" Weber or the Kudu Braai Grill http://kudugrills.com/product/kudu-grill/ Yes, the Weber is the traditional choice, but I really like the options you get with the Kudu (multiple cooking levels and it functions as a firepit once the cooking is done). Just seems to be something really visceral about the dang thing, but maybe that's just marketing.

Otherwise, I'm a tech nerd that works with computers for a living. I recently worked at Nike for about 3 years, but now work for a company called InsideTrack that does coaching for college students.

Anyhow, that's my story and why I'm here. Looking forward to being part of this community.

Thanks,

Alex Scoble

Welcome DevOpsProDude

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
      Glad to have ya here, to learn along with me!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Alex! Nice to have you and I enjoyed reading your intro. I used to really like Nikes, but the last 10-15 yrs I've been an ASICS guy, they're just so comfy to me. Don't hate me! (Oh and by the way, how do the people at Nike pronounce Nike? There's been this battle off & on where I live- some say Ny'-kee, others claim it's one syllable like "hike".)

Since you’re new here, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
        1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe, if you’re a paying member. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) me with your email change request, or via email at [email protected].
        2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which paid members get free monthly entry into, and is open to all USA members. We’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• DevOpsProDude
          DevOpsProDude commented
          Editing a comment
          It's definitely two syllables...Nigh-Key...We also pronounce the Bike in BikeTown the same way (those are the Nike bikes you can pay to ride around Portland) Since I no longer work there, I'm not offended by your choice of shoes, whatever they may be. 1 and 2 are taken care of

• DevOpsProDude
          DevOpsProDude commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, homework completed.

Welcome from Colorado, Alex ...

Comment

Welcome to the pit, thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! It appears to me that you have some trade offs in your grill choice - multilevel grilling vs covered cooking (I think you could create some multi level add ons for the Weber and not use the cover) and the other trade off is tonpay $200 more for one grill than the other with no need for add ones. You have a pellet smoker, so you won’t need the Weber to smoke on. The questions I would ask myself is what do I plan to cook on the grill, how often and which grill best fits that . That might help you decide. You mention the fire pit. How important is that feature? The most important thing is to have fun.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Alex. I have seen that grill before, and it is very neat. However, the Weber is much more versatile. And there is no reason you couldn't add a few splits to the hot coals once done and have a Weber fire pit.

Comment

Greetings, Alex. Glad you've joined us. Cheers!

Comment

Hi. Welcome. Eat good. Have fun. 😎

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! We are happy to have you here. Jump in on the fun.

Comment

Get the Kudu and then tell us all about it.

Comment

I agree with RonB , the versatility of the Weber beats the kudo hands down. The kudo does have "the zone" differences in raising & lowering, but it’s also has another name, temp control. That is easily done on a Weber. Fire pit, not so much.
                          Then, then I see a pic in Bon Appetit of some femme fatale in a white pants suit complete with floppy hat grillin away next to a swimming pool. And a little captions that "chefs love it" for its multi zone capability’s. Red Flag! Not that I’m a knuckle dragger, but I’m into cookin not lookin chic. It might be a mighty fine grill, smokin not so much, at all. Fire pit, I don’t want a little grill as a fire pit. Give me a fire pit. Plus for the money you can have a 26” & a SNS. Just my opinion, not to rain on your parade. Again welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from the great NorthWet! There's always room for another Southern Gentleman from waaaay down there in Portlandia!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here