Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Beef Short Ribs

I picked these up on sale at kroger today. The sale sign called them "Boneless flanken beef short ribs". These don't look flanken if you look which way the tissue/fat runs (i think). The package says "boneless chuck western style ribs" which i assume would be like the western style pork ribs from the shoulder. But Im still not sure. Any ideas what these are. Either way I assume the bestvwsy to cook would be low n slow like regular english style shory ribs.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180503_210141.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	494126Any help/ideas are much appreciated. Thanks

Disregard. I think these are flanken. Stupid geometry... I've never cooked them flanken so this will be an experiment.

Comment

Let us know how they turn out!

Comment

They are NOT a flanken cut. Those are slices off a chuck roast cut into "mock" ribs. Cook them like you would any piece of chuck, they need low and slow to break down the connective tissues.

Here are your flanken cut short ribs;

Click image for larger version

Name:	flanken cut ribs.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	494307
        Last edited by Troutman; May 4, 2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Troutman The reason I think these are flanken because the layers of meat and connective tissue mimick the layers seen in these english style short ribs below. The difference being they are boneless and cut perpendicular down through what would be the bone side. However they look nothing like the image you posted which are clearly cut in that manner but do not have the same meat/tissue layering. So Im even more confused now.
          Anyhow I will cook the in the same manner regardless of what they are.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	beef-short-rib-goldbely.8fbd26163501d2831212513adc5b7c65.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	494347

Comment

Oh yea I see what you are saying, there is a bone. I would consider that an English cut short rib. I think their packaging was a bit confusing. Yea just cook them like short ribs. I prefer the whole plate but it's all the same.

Comment

To be clear the 2nd picture of the short ribs was from the google, not the package on the 1st picture. I was just comparing the meat and fat/tisdue layers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here