Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie need help with smoker grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie need help with smoker grill

Hello all from New Jersey:

I have little or no experience in smoking meats. I came here in the 1980 as a student from India and learnt over time to cook on a gas barbecue grill. I have always wanted to learn the art of smoking but never had the time working in the high paced over worked environment of NYC.
    Now that I am retired, I need some guidance from those of you willing to share. I am looking to purchase one of these pellet grills to keep within my budget.
    I have been considering -
    Camp Chef Woodwind perhaps with Sear Box
    Grilla Grills Silverback and
    Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone
    Any advice and personal experience would be most appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Burt

Welcome Burt

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Texas !!! So many choices in pellet cookers out there. Out of your list I like that Grilla Silverback. Try to spend a little more than you think you can afford to get a quality one is my advice to you.

Comment

Of that list of three pellet smokers, I like the Grilla Silverbac best as a smoker. If you no longer have a gas grill and need a way to do high temperature searing, the Camp Chef Woodwind with sear box is hard to beat as an all-in-one multipurpose cooker. The problem with most pellet smokers is that they are great at smoking and baking, but worse than other types of grills at searing meat to give it that brown surface we all want to see.

Comment

Welcome buac01

Comment

Welcome to the pit Burt! Three great choices for a pellet grill/smoker.

As noted pellet grills are great for low & slow cooking but not so much for hot & fast or for searing. If using the pellet grill to sear is important than you want that Camp Chef Woodwind with Sear box.

Grilla Grills are made just down the road from me and are well built. However, for my seasonal home I purchased a Green Mountain Daniel Boone. My reasons at the time had to do with perceived value coupled with occasional use. Great choice for my needs, but may or may not be for yours.

All three will churn out great BBQ. Cook to the pellet smoker's strengths (low & slow) and you will be fine. Brisket, ribs, sausages, mac & cheese, bacon, pork, sweet corn, asparagus .... well, you get the idea. All great on the pellet popper.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and your soon to be new pellet pooper.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                  Glad ya joined us here, lookin forward to more from ya!

I'll leave yer question to th pellet cookin experts here, as I do not happen to have one.

Comment

Thank you Mr. Bones

Comment

Thanks

Comment

welcome from Nebraska!!

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina !

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from a former Jersey boy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here