Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request for review of Oklahoma Joe Bandera smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for review of Oklahoma Joe Bandera smoker.

I have been using a 40" Masterbuilt smoker and like it. However, I want to start competing in the KCBS events and know I can't use an electric smoker. Can anyone tell me about the Oklahoma Joe Bandera smoker? I don't have a lot of money to spend on one, but this one appears to be made out of sturdy enough metal to last. I have seen that there are smoke leakage problems that seem to be correctable, but I am curious if anyone, who has competed in KCBS, has some insights to the overall quality of this smoker. Thanks.

IMO it’s not a good call for comp. If budget is an issue your money ahead with a Weber Smokey Mt if you can swing the 300.00. You also can build a UDS for not much. Even with these I think your still need another Cooker. Again just an opinion here. I have an original Bandera and there’s no way I’d want to run 4 meats on it for turn in. BUT it could be done. Charcoal instead of wood and maybe another Cooker for your chicken.

Welcome to the pit.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; February 3, 2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Welcome edgrinde1951

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

I have to agree some with Mr. Solberg.

i have a vertical offset that I hauled to a couple of backyard competitions and it was a pain in the butt. I do like vertical cookers but not for transporting... plus you are going to spend more money to buy kits fixing it up.

I have done other backyard competitions using my PBC (well in price range) and it has worked out quite well! Using the hinged grate I could set a Pork butt on the grate hang ribs and I used a basket to hang chicken. It was tight but doable... if I ever get the time to start doing it again I may add a PBC jr to the mix for the extra room.
        Last edited by Nate; February 3, 2018, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Nate how did you do the brisket in the PBC?

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon Solberg , only did chicken, ribs, and pulled pork...

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Got it. KCBS you got to do brisket too : ( I still think it’s a challenge for a Bandera. The Bandera is to skinny to rack a brisket. Not quite tall enough to hang one and rack the other 3! Fire management in it’s a drag I can think of so many reasons not to do it. The only one I can think of to do it is it’s all I have.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
          Glad to have ya here with me...
          I have an Oklahoma Joe's, but not a Bandera, sorry I can't offer ya any useful info on yer question.

Comment

Thanks, guys. If I ever enter a KBCS I do have one son that has a Good One Open Range smoker and another son that has a Traeger. I wouldn't enter just by myself but with one or both of them. So I am looking for a smoker to augment their smokers. So I may have to look into either the Weber Smokey Mt. or a UDS. Any suggestions on which way to go, or is the Weber Smokey Mt. merely a UDS that Weber manufactures?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              A UDS would be good for comps its made out of a 55 gallon drum that uses 22" racks from a kettle usually 2 are used to get all the meats on.

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              Lots of folks have had great success on the WSM... Gateway cookers are winning right now too!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Harry Soo uses WSMs exclusively and is very successful on the comp circuit.

If you have access to the other smokers your sons own, I would look at the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) and Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). Read the reviews and information here on both cookers. For myself I think I would go with the PBC, but others will need to comment as to whether a WSM would be better suited for competition cooks. The WSM has access for fire management and adding wood chunks to the fire for smoking, but unless you get the 22” won’t fit a rack of ribs without rolling or cutting...

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here