Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best BBQ in Houston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best BBQ in Houston?

Saying hello for the first time from New Hampshire!
    I will be traveling to Houston this weekend and wanted some input on the best BBQ pit in the area for true Texas BBQ experience?

Go Pat's

Thanks

Welcome Delspit

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! Happy to have you with us, and thanks for your support. For help, I'll link you to our Member Reviews > BBQ Restaurant Roundup > Texas to help you narrow down some past reviews for the area. Maybe you can find Houston joints in there.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe, if you’re a paying member. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) me with your email change request, or via email at [email protected].
      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members. We’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Can't say I ever had a clear favorite when we lived there. Here's a potentially helpful link to a few suggestions: https://houston.eater.com/maps/best-...ue-restaurants

Welcome from Colorado, BTW ...

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Tony Bourdain is mentioned in that list. If you can get ahold of his "Parts Unknown" video on Houston, you might get some more ideas.

I'd say Killen's in Pearland for starters - https://www.killensbarbecue.com

Truth in Brenham if you can take a road trip - https://www.truthbbq.com

Gaitlin's on Ella - http://www.gatlinsbbq.com

Pizzitola's is also good, particularly for ribs - http://pizzitolas.com

Tejas Chocolate (weird name but yes they serve bbq) is highly rated - http://tejaschocolate.com

as is Corkscrew - https://www.corkscrewbbq.com

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          Some great joints in your list!

Thanks for all the information, looking forward to filling my belly with some Good Texas BBQ.

Also very glad to have found this site and glad to support a site like this with great information and great people.

I've got a chicken on the smoker now and getting hungry reading the reviews.

Thanks

Comment

It’s got to be at Lonnie’s right?

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey how’d I get left out of the discussion? Only kidding, Lonnie would blow my socks off

This list from Texas Monthly might give you an idea or two.

Comment

Apparently the Corkscrew BBQ north of Houston is great. I have not tried it yet though.

Comment

After extensive personal research, here are my top 3 in no particular order;

PINKERTON’S - in the Heights close to downtown. A devotee of Aaron Franklin, very similar style. His brisket is literally to kill for.

CORKSCREW - in Old Town Spring, fairly new but gets extreme grades. Ribs, ribs and Moe ribs!!!

KILLENS - in Pearland. Long time excellence in everything bbq.

Gatlins ( where I eat maybe twice a month) gets a B+.
            There are probably 10 others that have good cue, Goode Company, Pappas BBQ (oh the beef ribs) and a bunch more I’m forgetting.

if you need directions or info, feel free to PM me. Enjoy your stay!!!!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              Dude, we'll have to meat up on one of our Houston BBQ Trips!

What do you think of The Pit Room?

And I'm with you, my two trips to Gatlin's were ok.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Let me know Paul, so many choices, so little time !!!! Steve...

Don’t know the Pit Room, but willin to try it !!

Golly gee, no mention of McRibs!!!????

Comment

Here's a little visual aid ..... PINKERTON"S in the Houston Heights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinkertons.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	448387

....their bar as you walk in .....

Name:	Pinkertons Bar.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	448388

....the obligatory line awaiting ambrosia (at 11 am !!) .....

Name:	Pinkertons Line.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	448389

.....and the MONEY !!! Brisket flat (to test juiciness), brisket fatty end (like budda), pork ribs and big beefy rib. DIG IN ....

Name:	Pinkertons Sampler.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	448390

Comment

Wow that looks good! So many places so little time. Going to have to loosen the belt!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Everything people have mentioned is spot on. I’ve been meaning to write a review of Tejas BBQ & Chocolate in Tomball (suburb north of Houston). That place is legit. Really excellent. Best I’ve had in the Houston area. Not been to Killens but everyone loves it. I really like the brisket at Gatlins. I’m ok with the ribs. I second the ribs at Pizzitola’s.

Enjoy your stay. Weather is perfect right now.

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here